has anyone made a homemade wood stove? just finished mine! love it

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 580
  • stove2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 594
  • stove3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 590
Building a double barrel stove myself. They work great.

That's pretty neat- I looked up the kit and was surprised to see they sell it at home depot.

You could do a waste oil drip to it too.

no more pics sorry :/ however you can buy the kit to turn a barrel into a stove online or at a local store like menards or home depot, kit normally runs about 45 buck, really easy took me about 2 hours but if you had like a plasma cutter im sure it would take half that haha

Attachments

• IMG_3598.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 557
You mean home insurance or the people who make the kit?

Either way I am sure it's "NOT liable...."

So Dartkid what did you use to cut the barrel? a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) ?

Better be watchin the bottom. Those barrels are thin. Look for the bottom to drool into an orange pile of goo on the floor. It'll do it. I kid you not.

I would suggest lining the bottom of the stove with fire bricks. That is what we have done on my Dad's stove. We also put a stove thermometer on the flue pipe to monitor the temp. We also run a fan behind the stove to move the air. It works great.

I have a double barrel one in one of my garages. Been there about 10 years . Burn everything I can put in it. Works great. City fire dept. approved it.

Masonry wall 4 feet away in back. Nothing combustible within 4 feet on sides.
I put some metal grating in the bottom of the barrel. Seems to burn hotter with air flow under it.
67 dart/cuda is also right about the fan.

don't have one now, but have used the double barrel ones, metal now probably sorry too. yes fire bricks on floorr is good, have 3 ft from back wall unless its not combustable, fan will work great.
insurance co. love to tack on $25/ mo here if they can for wood stove. . finally found local ins co. that caters to rural people. no such added premium!
I intend to add to car shed this fall and have enclosed area next winter and that double barrel stove!!!!! wood stove in our humble abode is our only source of heat! living close to nature. opossum is our watch dog! LOL

I use one in my shop and works great. I lined the bottom with bricks coming up the sides a bit.First one lasted 4 years and this year built a new one. Heats my shop with zero issues. I just don't leave it lit over night when I am not in there.

My double barrel stove stays lit for months at a time. If I didn't have to remove ashes I wouldn't let it cool. I have a fan in rafters that blows warm air down which helps tremendously.

I have been using one of these for about 3 years now. Works great. I just tossed some dirt on the bottom and never clean the ashes out to the point that the bottom would be exposed again.

Word of advice.. Burn a fire in it out side your shop the first time. that paint burning smokes a lot ha ha ha

Also Tractor supply co. usually carries them in PA were im at.

That's pretty neat- I looked up the kit and was surprised to see they sell it at home depot.

You could do a waste oil drip to it too.

I would prefer wood.....seen a few buildings burn down with the waste oil ones.Mostly out of operator error but non-the less.

I had a double barrel for 18 yrs in Georgia. The kit was made by Sotz. Lock it down with minimal air and it would burn for days. I just had to make sure to get it drawing good by putting paper in the back and lighting it to start the draw. I usually left around 2-3" of ashes in the bottom. It never came close to burning through. I burned anything that would burn, especially those damn Georgia pines! It was in the basement of a split foyer and would heat the entire house! After each season, I would take the flue pipe off, beat the top drum with a rubber mallet, then vacuum the creosote out.

I didn't know you could still buy those barrel kits, due to the EPA cracking down on wood stove emissions.

The link to the stainless steel barrels that abodyjoe posted up looks like the way to go! Anybody know how to get ahold of those barrels locally?

We put a barrel stove in my buddy's garage about 20 years ago. They put off good heat almost immediately, unlike a heavy steel stove. I welded in a section of 2 1/2" pipe thru the top of the stove, mounted a blower on the back of it. It's picked up a lot mor of the heat that would have otherwise just gone up the chimney.

I would prefer wood.....seen a few buildings burn down with the waste oil ones.Mostly out of operator error but non-the less.

I believe what he was referring to IS a wood stove, with a copper line going up to a 5gallon bucket of used oil. They way we always used this setup is, start the fire with wood and kindling, and after you have the fire established and a bed of coals, open the petcock to allow a steady "dripping" of the oil. The oil burns fairly lean when adjusted properly, and the bucket of used motor oil will last for days. Just keep adding wood as needed, and you would be amazed ho much heat you can generate for your large shop.

I know this is gonna be a stupid question and I have seen them before.....but what is the purpose of the double barrel deal?

I believe what he was referring to IS a wood stove, with a copper line going up to a 5gallon bucket of used oil. They way we always used this setup is, start the fire with wood and kindling, and after you have the fire established and a bed of coals, open the petcock to allow a steady "dripping" of the oil. The oil burns fairly lean when adjusted properly, and the bucket of used motor oil will last for days. Just keep adding wood as needed, and you would be amazed ho much heat you can generate for your large shop.

I agree..properly set up the oil drip system works great but there are a lot of idiots out there and those are the ones that concern me.:cheers:

I like my barrel stove but I put this waste oil kit on the forced air furnace in my house. Works amazing. I am thinking about getting another one to try on my barrel burner.

Here is the link http://ckburners.com/kits.html

a little off topic but its still cheap heat if you can get Waste oil free/cheap

I know this is gonna be a stupid question and I have seen them before.....but what is the purpose of the double barrel deal?

Well, a barrel stove is not exactly an engineered firebox, with diffused, preheated combustion air, or a heat exchanger capable of extracting the maximum amount of heat from the firebox. There is much wasted energy going up the flue. The second barrel acts as an improved heat exchanger, allowing additional heat to be released into your shop / garage before it escapes up thru the chimney.

Well, a barrel stove is not exactly an engineered firebox, with diffused, preheated combustion air, or a heat exchanger capable of extracting the maximum amount of heat from the firebox. There is much wasted energy going up the flue. The second barrel acts as an improved heat exchanger, allowing additional heat to be released into your shop / garage before it escapes up thru the chimney.

Thanks. I sorta thought that, but wasn't sure.

There are big differences in the gauge of metal used on some barrels. I'd look around for a good heavy barrel- maybe one that had contained chains or mechanical parts. The " food barrels" tend to be lighter gauge metal.
While you are at it, build a UDS also. (See bbq brethren forum)

-
Back