HomeMade Fan Shroud

-

bargeahead

Wishicouldre member
Reaction score
By suggestion I'm posting this pic of the wooden fan shroud I just finished. It is a one-off for my '65 Dart. Did I say "wood", yes I did. If it looks like anything a do-it-yourselfer might be interested in I will at a future date post pics of it with a tape measure. The side pieces are 1/2" birch cabinet plywood and the other pieces are 1/8" and 3/16" modeling plywood. Initial construction was tacked with carpenters wood glue while the real structual strength comes from 2 to 1 boatbuilders epoxy with additives for the coving.
If there is enough interest I will ....what I gonna do...I'll make up some kind of pic tutorial and work permitting be available for e-mail explanations.
I'll watch this post for interest. I just finished it tonight and haven't installed it yet. Have to remove upper hose 'cause when designing this dummy didn't take the power steering hoses into account...duh. Like I said, I just finished so any PM's may get lost in the shuffle.
SO....Whatcha think gals & guys.

jsw_img_1277.jpg

mine is in progress but is coming out great you did a good job i like it

0921091450a.jpg

Very interesting Barge and it most certainly looks great! Will heat have any effect on the epoxy?

Update....Epoxy is the most expensive of the materials. Based on what's remaining I estimate material costs for the shroud at $50. I bought extra of everything for future projects.

Re: Heat/Temp: Epoxy manufacturer represented product good to 375-400 deg F.

Straight mixed epoxy resin is painted over all surfaces to seal. It's the same as having a wooden rib surrounded by fiberglass in a boat.

I would suggest checking out West System or Raka on the web for specific info on epoxy. The heat generated in the engine compartment should not have an effect provided quality plywood is used. I used Midwest plywood and cabinet grade for the sides. GET IT MADE in the USA ! More layers and VERY important, better adhesive.

I never thought of making one out of wood. Looks Great!!

Pretty slick work there, but seeing it on that pretty, yellow, painted hood makes me cringe.
THX, it is wood and placed VERY carefully. To our Canadian neighbor I apologize for the "get it in the USA" comment re plywood. I don't know if Canada has plywood producers and if they do I AM SURE the quality is the same as south of the longest non-secured border in the world. I was referring to asian plywood which although may be made of exotic hardwoods ( teak/mahog' ) is NOT layed up with quality adhesive !
Moisture is THE key. All surfaces and especially end-grains MUST be sealed with at least one heavy coat of epoxy resin. If only one coat, do not sand.

it looks good:) i am just curious tho y do so many people make their own? dose it help with air flow or something? or availability or price on original ones? it really looks good tho:)

Barge, as I've been saying all day ... it looks phenomenal!!! Glad you decided to share your hard work with everybody.

Tyler, original shrouds are really hard to find, and finding one in great shape after 40+ years is almost impossible (they're plastic). If you do get lucky and find one, they're very expensive.

my motor mount broke and ripped mine in peices ahhaha thats why i started making mine

my motor mount broke and ripped mine in peices ahhaha thats why i started making mine

ya i seen that that sucked lol. i think there are a few at the junk yard here in town. if it gets warmer i will try to go see friday and see what other good parts are out there. i remember 3 or 4 a bodies all 70+ so will see what i can pull for cheap and get pics of other good stuff

-
Back