Hood/air cleaner clearance

-

txas2step

Reaction score
I have an Edelbrock D4B intake I want to use on my '65 Dart GT w/HP273. Using an Eddie 1403 and the Charger air cleaner, it sits up higher than the stock manifold. Has anyone used this combo that could give me some insight? Thanks. Chris.

Get some modeling clay or Playdough and put a 1/2" ribbon around the top edge of the air cleaner. Close the hood. If it leaves a imprint you will know how close it is.

I seen on tv show they used tinfoil (aluminum) foil worked slick.

Does your air cleaner have a dropped base? The one I have lowers the filter 2 inches or so

I ran a ‘73 340 cast iron spread bore intake on my 65 Barracuda with the same as Commando air cleaner and had no problems. And that was with a 1/4” insulator gasket.

A3C66DFD-AB34-4EA7-A66F-F5C5B2FDEF02.png

I ran a ‘73 340 cast iron spread bore intake on my 65 Barracuda with the same as Commando air cleaner and had no problems. And that was with a 1/4” insulator gasket.

View attachment 1715168460
that being said, and I have no reason to doubt the poster, I'd go really slow on closing that hood the first time. I've seen a lot of hoods with "reverse dimples" from a carelessly slammed hood.

Pretty sure it will work with a shorter filter (2") ...it has a 3-1/2" now. Thanks for the replies.

008.JPG

I ran a 340 with a Holley Strip Dominator (the original air gap) and a Holley 4150 spreadbore DP and only used a drop based cheapo chrome air cleaner, I have evidence of the air cleaner wing nut in my hood insulation only. Those Early air cleaners had very little drop to the base IIRC.

-
Back