Hood alignment

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a question and need assistance. I m having trouble with my hood fitting right. Its in good condition( SC donor Dart) and its not right. I have the doors and fenders bang on even spaced and all but with the hood it fits great on pass. side but on drivers side the gap along the top edge of fender is wider and hood on the same side sits to high. Ive screwed around alot to make it look right and im stumped. I measured from garage floor up to inside fender wheel well on both sides and i am off approx 1/4 in height,,lower drivers side..Will the this difference effect it? as well will spacers on the pass. side hinge help?Anyone come across this problem? Thanks in advance

This is on your '67 Dart?
How are the gaps and height between the fender tops and cowl panel?
Does the hood stand proud (above) the drivers side fender the whole length from grill to cowl?
The gap between the hood and drivers fender, it is an even gap from grill to cowl, just wider than the even gap on the passenger side?
C

Yep, on my 67 Dart.At the cowl both sides are perfect. On pass. side all the way down , even and at the right height. Drivers, not so much. At the cowl, perfect and as it goes to the front the gap gets a bit wider..easy adjustment but the dam hood sticks up to high! worse as it goes to the front. Ive tried adjusting fender higher but then looking at the front of the car its a easy see what i did.....Maybe my hinges? Maybe to much off in the front end in regards to the lwr control arms/torsion bars ? will that make a bit of a twist?

When you're adjusting your hood, you need to work in the opposite corner from the problem area! If the drivers side front corner is high, you need to adjust the passenger side hinge!

I usually start out adjusting a hood by lowering the latch plate and taking the hook off the front of the hood! Then I lower the two front bumpers to allow the hood to open and close freely while you're working with it! Lower the hood down until the first corner in the front is flush with the fender and adjust the bumper to let the hood rest flush and set to work on the high corner, and check the fit of all the gaps. If the hood is tight in a front corner, the opposite corner needs to be loosened on the two hood bolts and slid back or forward to open or close the gap. If the hood is high is a front corner, the opposite side hinge needs to be raised, or "turned" by loosening just one bolt and tipping the hinge! Check after every adjustment, and go in small increments! If the desired adjustment doesn't benefit the job, reverse your last adjustment. Once you get the front corners adjusted and the gaps correct, set the other bumper and reset the latch! If the rear of the hood is high, you can lower the hinge equally on each bolt to drop the corner straight down, again in small increments!

Patience is a virtue when adjusting panels, so find your happy thought before you start and good luck!! Geof

I worked on my 67 barracuda weeks to finnally get it where I think it should be. Dont get it too straight or it wont look factory, they were messed up when they delivered them new, they were never perfect nor there doors or stripes. Most thesse old cars are much better now then they ever were new.

Could it be sprung (out of shape) I hang and adjust the doors first then do the hood lining it up with the cowl then the fenders tweaking everything as needed

Could it be sprung (out of shape) I hang and adjust the doors first then do the hood lining it up with the cowl then the fenders tweaking everything as needed
Yep, sounds the same. I installed the doors then fenders, all of them line up great even at the cowl, im woundering if i put a washer on the pass side to even out the gap, if that works maybe it will help the hood on drivers side.Dam hood is off right now. I wil post some pics. Thanks all.

Yep, sounds the same. I installed the doors then fenders, all of them line up great even at the cowl, im woundering if i put a washer on the pass side to even out the gap, if that works maybe it will help the hood on drivers side.Dam hood is off right now. I wil post some pics. Thanks all.

Easier to install the hood before the fenders

here are some pics I took. Also measurements on width. First across the cowl aspect 59 3/8 inches and other at across rad support is 57 3/4inches. It dosent sound off to bad. Sorry about the pics, **** camera

Attachments

• HPIM0117 (640x480).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 460
  • HPIM0118 (640x480).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 423
  • HPIM0119 (640x480).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 403
  • HPIM0120 (640x480).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 347
  • HPIM0121 (640x480).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 315
  • HPIM0123 (640x480).jpg