Hood and fender shake

-
if you can find a place with a hunter road force balancer it can tell you if you have bent rims,shifted belts,flat spots,etc. we have one in my shop at school and it works very well.

Back in the day, I use to have my tires trued and balanced on the car. This balanced both the wheel and rotating mass together, and yes you could thee the differance.:profilel:

The lathe sounds like a real good thing to do unfortunately we have nothing like that around here. I will check out the hunter road force balalncer. All great ideas guys!

The lathe sounds like a real good thing to do unfortunately we have nothing like that around here. I will check out the hunter road force balalncer. All great ideas guys!

1. Are you sure it is not the wheel/s ?
2. Have you tried rotating them?
3. Why not try new tires, all else failing - if it still does it, you know it's the rims

I got 2 brand new BFG's for the back, had them mounted and balanced. Seems they had a bit of a time balancing them because I don't like to have the balance weights stuck to the outside of the rim so they do an alloy wheel balance and stick the weights on the inner edge of the rim and close to the hub center. Drove the car and it still shakes. Took it back and the balance was out again by 2.25 ozs. How can it change, the tire did not slip on the rim as we marked it and I didn't do any smokey burnouts. The rim looks to run true on the balancer, the hub center is true and the outer edges don't wobble or move up and down. I have some older chrome mod steel wheels that I guess I will have to try. This is beginning to really get to me!!! I have been to 2 different tire shops to have these wheels balanced so it isn't the calibration of 1 machine that is causing it. What next?

Have the tires "force balanced" ? Call around :cheers:

I got 2 brand new BFG's for the back, had them mounted and balanced. Seems they had a bit of a time balancing them because I don't like to have the balance weights stuck to the outside of the rim so they do an alloy wheel balance and stick the weights on the inner edge of the rim and close to the hub center. Drove the car and it still shakes. Took it back and the balance was out again by 2.25 ozs. How can it change, the tire did not slip on the rim as we marked it and I didn't do any smokey burnouts. The rim looks to run true on the balancer, the hub center is true and the outer edges don't wobble or move up and down. I have some older chrome mod steel wheels that I guess I will have to try. This is beginning to really get to me!!! I have been to 2 different tire shops to have these wheels balanced so it isn't the calibration of 1 machine that is causing it. What next?

I feel for you, I do, but let's be more specific:
1. Did it still shake as soon as you took it out of the shop or did it only start a while later?
A. If the former, then:
I. Was the tire balanced correctly to begin with?
II. Did the weight fall off (as already suggested); as in: never really on?
III. Did you take it back, have it rebalanced?
B. If the later, then you must have dropped the weight (as already sugg).

Also, are you absolutely certain that it is the rear?

excellent explanation of why the direction you where going seemed as if it fixed your problem. If both tires have the wobble, even if one is more intense... when they react with each other it can magnify the irregularity of one side. These cars are just looking for a reason to shake anyway, and the wider the footprint your tires have the more significant a warp or wobble will be.
I redid my front end a couple of weeks ago, had it aligned and was so happy. Two days later I slipped a belt on my new BFG's and had more wobble than I had before the rebuild. I had to video the car on the road to figure out where the shaking was coming from. Thank goodness for video. ( my 2 cents also)

A different set of wheels with worn tires runs smooth. You have put two sets of new tires on your wheels with similar results (vibrations) each time. Sounds like it is in your wheel(s) to me. If you are still on good speaking terms with one of your tire shops, how about making a proposal to them along the lines as follows:
explain your situation. Ask them to mount and balance a decent set of used tires for the cost of mount & balance. If your problem is still there you need wheels and then tires, if the problem is gone you take it back and buy a third set of new tires.
C

-
Back