Hood clearance 68 Barracuda

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`m thinking of putting a slightly higher rise intake on my 68 -383 Barracuda, but am concerned about hood clearance with the stock air cleaner. I`d like to keep the original air cleaner if possible. What intakes,air cleaners,etc.combinations are people using with stock hoods?

Longgone, if you measure the hood clearance you have now, then go to the web sites for the different manifold manufacturers, they usually give the height of their respective manifolds. With the info on your current manifold, and on any manifold you're considering purchasing, you should be able to determine if that manifold will fit with your clearance measurements. Or, if you wait a while I'm sure someone will give you the information from personal experience. :)

Hi OldVart- I vaguely remember how to measure an intake. Front side is always higher than the back so you have to measure to the block at the pan rails front and back, add those and then divide by two? Please correct me if I`m wrong.I`m sure someone out there must have a higher rise intake and the factory air cleaner with a 67-69 BB Cuda. The drop base air cleaners are available but I`d like to keep the old unsilenced cleaner with the Super Commando call outs.(Nostalgia) Seems when you change one thing you get the snowball rollin`! Perhaps I should be satisfied with what Chrysler put on there.

Longgone I know what you mean about the snowball effect, it never seems to end. I'm using an older Edlebrock LD340 mainfold on the 360 in my 66. According to Edlebrock, it works as good as the new RPM manifolds and I don't have any hood clearance problems, even with the tight 66 engine compartment.

Well, I have a 340 '68 and have the Eddy LD4B on there that I got when I bought the car. With Stock air cleaner it fits perfectly fine, however I don't know the height comparison between stock and aftermarket. But I assume the LD4B IS taller?

Krazed, I'm like you, I love my old LD340 but don't know the height difference between it and the stock intake. I don't believe there's a big difference.
Here's my 360 with the LD340, AFB, and Moroso 14" air cleaner, and I still have a "little" space left before I hit the inside of the hood :)

2115668_2_full[1].jpg

-
Back