hood hinge repair

-

1MeanA

Reaction score
I removed my floppy hinges and find that the mounting posts are quite grooved. I was thinking of welding 5/8" OD x 1/2" ID sleeves on the posts and drilling the hinge holes out to 5/8". Has anyone done something like this?

Sounds like a plan.

I did something similar on my trunk hinges but I welded in a tube beteeen the sheet metal holes in the hinge, same type of result.

You might be able to get a thinner tube so as to not drill the hinge hole out as large.

Yeah maybe some 1/2 tubing like what we use for instrumentation lines in the refinery.

You might even be able to use some bronze inserts like door hinge repair kits have.

The point is to distribute the load from the damaged area to the better areas.

The hinge is pretty thin. I was thinking about welding a bushing or thick washer to the hinge so there is more surface area riding on the pin.

My 2 cents... go with plan A or some variation. The origional lasted 50 + years and unless you are 20 the repair will out live you.

My 2 cents... go with plan A or some variation. The origional lasted 50 + years and unless you are 20 the repair will out live you.
True but I am a tinkerer by heart (and an engineering tech)

Be careful, I too have Tim Taylor tendencies.

My dad always said...

"The parts you don't add, don't cause you no trouble"

“If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.”
― Red Green

My auto parts store has a rack of misc bushes hung on the wall.
All sizes, and alone or combined, (sleeving one in another, or end on end) can make just about any bush size you need .
Good luck .

My auto parts store has a rack of misc bushes hung on the wall.
All sizes, and alone or combined, (sleeving one in another, or end on end) can make just about any bush size you need .
Good luck .
What store is that? I would probably just buy the bushing from Amazon.

Lordco is a local chain store, but it appears to be a commercially avail display rack, I have seen elsewhere as well.
Racks of shackles, chain links etc .
Amazon is great if you don't need it now, but sometimes fondling the parts, and imagination can form new/better ideas.

Ive used bronze bushings and a bolt wiith a lock nut, that way you can replace the bushings. Yes I think I drilled a 5/8 hole for the bushing..it was quite a few years ago the thing is the hinge will blow out the corner of the hood if not fixed.

Lordco is a local chain store, but it appears to be a commercially avail display rack, I have seen elsewhere as well.
Racks of shackles, chain links etc .
Amazon is great if you don't need it now, but sometimes fondling the parts, and imagination can form new/better ideas.
Is that foreplay?
ps Lordco has set up in Alberta but I have never been in one of their stores. I think a local commercial nut and bolt shop has a display with machine washers and chain links. Perhaps its in that rack. I stopped going to that store because you had to line up at the counter and there is a competitor not far away where you can pick your own bolts.

I think Lowes and Home depot has bushings...I dop recall taking measurements though . You have to know what ID and OD you are going after etc. then figure out what hardware you want

I think Lowes and Home depot has bushings...I dop recall taking measurements though . You have to know what ID and OD you are going after etc. then figure out what hardware you want

That's where it nice to be able to sort and match, rather than order, and wait . . .
Maybe Tractor Supply .

Looked at 5 used sets of hinges today. They were all sloppy at the rivet. Perhaps they were like this from new.

-
Back