**Hood Hinge Spring Help Needed**

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
Ok, I went to shut my hood a few weeks ago and the hood hinge spring popped off on the passenger side. I have took the inspection cover off under the wheel well and I can see and touch the spring. Can someone tell me how the heck to get it back on? Last resort I will pull the fender but I would rather not. Is there a secret to doing this or a tool that I can make to get it back on without damaging the car?

I am looking for pictures, advice or if someone wants to come over and do it, have at it! Lol

They are a pain to get back on. The last time mine popped of I used a bar with a straight end like a screwdriver and pushed it up and on. Then you need to put the little capture nut on there to keep it in place. I can't remember what they are called, but it's a cap type piece of metal with little tangs inside that are bent out to slide over the post and grip on so it doesn't slip back off.

Kinda similar to one of those caps that would hold a wheel to an axle on a kids toy, best way I can describe it.

Another thing, IF you can get a small vise grip on it to force it up and over might work. I can't remember if there is enough room in there or not. You might be able to get the vise grip on there and open the door and reach in that way.

HA, I found a pic!

Attachments

• push_cap.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 156
Aren't those held on with those small flat serrated washers (push nuts - I think thay are called). Like the rear drums were from the factory....

here's a drivers side on a 70

the center pin is spread so that the spring can;t slide off

do you think the spring coil broke ?

768df419-16e0-41de-aa16-e9bec7e41c73.jpg

here's a drivers side on a 70

the center pin is spread so that the spring can;t slide off

do you think the spring coil broke ?

What usually happens is the bent end of that spring pops off the post in your pic. There should be a cap on there to hold it on.

Yup, those will work also. Mine had the cap type, although who knows after 40 years. It could have been changed at some point.

If you don't want it to happen again, take off the fender. Put the hinge arm back on. Cross drill the hinge pin .Put washers on to take up slack. Put cotter pin through cross drilled hole. More stable and won't come off . repeat 3 more times.

My spring broke once, they can but usually they will slide out slot if not retained. Pull fender, much easier.

Yup, those will work also. Mine had the cap type, although who knows after 40 years. It could have been changed at some point.

Maybe mine were the ones that were changes???

I will find out one day when I get into my 68 Formula S with original paint (but needs paint now....) And see what it has.

I already tried the vice grip deal, I can get it close but not close enough. Room in there is tight. My Pin that holds the spring is more toward the door opening and not right on the hinge. It is attached to the body of the car.

Looks like I will need to take off the fender to get it done right. I hate to do that cause I gotta cut through the body sealer etc and my paint job in the engine bay is going to get ruined in the process. Ughhhh

If you don't want it to happen again, take off the fender. Put the hinge arm back on. Cross drill the hinge pin .Put washers on to take up slack. Put cotter pin through cross drilled hole. More stable and won't come off . repeat 3 more times.

Sounds like a plan that I am not looking forward to doing! Lol :violent1:

Thanks for the Ideas guys!

I already tried the vice grip deal, I can get it close but not close enough. Room in there is tight. My Pin that holds the spring is more toward the door opening and not right on the hinge. It is attached to the body of the car.

Did you try reaching in through the opening when you open the door, as in from the passenger compartment?

I have done it that way, it is a pain like I said. After the third time it popped off I realized I was missing that cap thing to hold it on. :banghead:

Did you try reaching in through the opening when you open the door, as in from the passenger compartment?

I have done it that way, it is a pain like I said. After the third time it popped off I realized I was missing that cap thing to hold it on. :banghead:

I have tried every way but it gets to a point where I am going to knock out my own teeth or mess up the car if it goes wrong. The body is straight, painted done. So I am a little leary about going ape **** on it!

Burntorange70 May need a little runt like me with small arms to reach in there. Lol

I think I just need someone with a hand coming from inside the door jamb and another one coming from under the fender well. If the vice grip pops off..... Mercieeeeeee, someone is going to go to the ER! Lol

Well, I did say it was a pain, lol. I think you're right about getting a second hand in there. That would still be better than ripping the fender off if you can get it done.

Maybe wrap the vise grips with a rag or something in case it slips.

-
Back