Hood scoop finally - what do you think?

-
It would require more masking and leave a hard line, but you could carry the black straight back off the hood and leave a strip across the front of the windshield the width of the pillars. This would tie it in I think. You could use photoshop if your better than me! Or you could just print a pic and draw it in to see what it's like. That's how I did it.

I don't know. The hood carries over all the way to the pillar. I will have to go out to storage and look at it up close. In the pics I just don't see it looking good, and I do not want a hard line. It's getting the black beak, though, for sure.

I don't know. The hood carries over all the way to the pillar. I will have to go out to storage and look at it up close. In the pics I just don't see it looking good, and I do not want a hard line. It's getting the black beak, though, for sure.

Agreed :D

do the full 71' 340 paint scheme....hood, cowl, eyelids around the windows and down the a-pillar! I'll send you pics of my car if you want i tell ya, MaMopar definitely got their paint schemes right! Love the color and out of curiosity, what does a nice storage place like that run a month?

do the full 71' 340 paint scheme....hood, cowl, eyelids around the windows and down the a-pillar! I'll send you pics of my car if you want i tell ya, MaMopar definitely got their paint schemes right! Love the color and out of curiosity, what does a nice storage place like that run a month?
You should post a couple pics. I would be interested in seeing them too!

I'd like to see the pics as well. It's not going to be a 340, though!

Love the color scheme... I had a 71 B'cuda ragtop that was lime/black... day after i sold it, I bought a 69 RR and did it lime/black.... can't decide if (whenever i get around to it) to make my super bee clone lime, or tone it down a bit and go with a bronze from the era....

Love the color scheme... I had a 71 B'cuda ragtop that was lime/black... day after i sold it, I bought a 69 RR and did it lime/black.... can't decide if (whenever i get around to it) to make my super bee clone lime, or tone it down a bit and go with a bronze from the era....

Never liked the bronze tones. Lime is an eye grabber, no doubt. My brother calls it Active Infection Snot Green.

For anyone looking for a scoop, I just bought a scoop from PG Classics and I'm really happy with it. It needs some contouring to match the Sport hood but it is a nice piece. Really Sturdy.

I am going to take some better pics of it and start a thread but haven't gotten to it. I have posted a couple pics in another thread I started if anyone is interested.

http://moparplus.com/product_info.php?cPath=55_82&products_id=852

Thanks

PS. I think it looks good but I think with the technology out there you should have been able to match the paint. I think it would look killer with the black scoop on the green hood!!

I agree with most of the people that from here i would black out the tops of the fenders and doors and come back on the body line along the tops of the roof and also black out the beak just like a '71 Duster.
However, i would have done it originally like the factory did it in these years, that's what i'm going to do on mine.
Here's an original stripe on one of my parts cars. Notice that the cowl is painted and has two thin stripes on the edges.

Attachments

• PB250066.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 140
  • PB250065.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 150
  • PB250124.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 102
  • PB250125.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 108
For anyone looking for a scoop, I just bought a scoop from PG Classics and I'm really happy with it. It needs some contouring to match the Sport hood but it is a nice piece. Really Sturdy.

I am going to take some better pics of it and start a thread but haven't gotten to it. I have posted a couple pics in another thread I started if anyone is interested.

http://moparplus.com/product_info.php?cPath=55_82&products_id=852

Thanks

PS. I think it looks good but I think with the technology out there you should have been able to match the paint. I think it would look killer with the black scoop on the green hood!!

I agree 100%. That P.G. classics scoop looks great too.
How are they to deal with?

They were really great to me!! I cannot complain at all. The Lady sent me about 12 photos of the scoop before I bought it. So I could see the quality.

My father was on a trip down east so I wanted him to pic it up for me. I arranged it with PG and they were really good about it. It ended up that my father was not going to get there until late evening so one of the guys even went there and met him at 9:30pm to make the sale.

Cash deal, CDN Dollars, no shipping, no customs, I'm really happy with the product... I did alright on this one I think.

I suggest calling to ask questions and be patient with her, they are all Chinese so they get confused. They don't rebuild cars, they sell parts from china, so really technical questions will throw them... That's why the pics were necessary. I would buy from them again for sure.

They were really great to me!! I cannot complain at all. The Lady sent me about 12 photos of the scoop before I bought it. So I could see the quality.

My father was on a trip down east so I wanted him to pic it up for me. I arranged it with PG and they were really good about it. It ended up that my father was not going to get there until late evening so one of the guys even went there and met him at 9:30pm to make the sale.

Cash deal, CDN Dollars, no shipping, no customs, I'm really happy with the product... I did alright on this one I think.

I suggest calling to ask questions and be patient with her, they are all Chinese so they get confused. They don't rebuild cars, they sell parts from china, so really technical questions will throw them... That's why the pics were necessary. I would buy from them again for sure.

Thank you.
They will get some of my business in the future.

I would have thought so, too. I wanted to do the stripes just like the pics in Dartnut's post. I could never match the paint, and I tried hard. I wanted green with black stripes and scoop.

I personally think that even if you got real close it would look better green. I know places up here can scan parts and match paint pretty close. You could take them your gas cap or whatever and they would get real close.

Most people would never notice it. I know it would bug me too if it was really noticeable but if it was close than I would live with it knowing the scoop would look awesome.

No disrespect but painting more of the car flat black is not the answer. It looks for good now but I would do some research and get the hood green and close to matching the car especially if that's the way you want it. Don't settle.

what kind of satin black did you go with? A base coat / clear coat with a lfattening agent or a single stage Hot Rod black type of satin black? I am looking to do the same thing in the spring.

what kind of satin black did you go with? A base coat / clear coat with a lfattening agent or a single stage Hot Rod black type of satin black? I am looking to do the same thing in the spring.

I used HOT ROD FLATZ URETHANE HRF 201 Hot Rod Black. It is extremely durable and never fades. The bottom of the hood looks just as good as the top.

I personally think that even if you got real close it would look better green. I know places up here can scan parts and match paint pretty close. You could take them your gas cap or whatever and they would get real close.

Most people would never notice it. I know it would bug me too if it was really noticeable but if it was close than I would live with it knowing the scoop would look awesome.

No disrespect but painting more of the car flat black is not the answer. It looks for good now but I would do some research and get the hood green and close to matching the car especially if that's the way you want it. Don't settle.

If you read the previous posts, I tried every scanner known to man, tried dealing with the paint manufacturers directly, and tried matching paint chips. Green with large stripes like Dartnut's was my first choice. In the end, I did what made sense.

-
Back