hood scoops

-

mikess68

Reaction score
here is photos of my hood scoops. they seem to have a edge at the opening that is thicker than the chrome inserts. it appears to make the inserts work i must take off the edge. the pics are worth a 1000 words understanding what im trying to say.
(dustermatic, here is what i was saying.)

Attachments

• DSCN4024.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCN4029.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCN4030.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 228
looks like a set that was molded with the chrome inserts on them like knock off sub par REPOPS make sense?

Those definately do not look like original Mopar scoops. Mine have a small lip that the bezels tuck into to mate up with the leading edges of the scoop. I agree with the previous post that your scoops look like re -pops that have the bezels molded into the scoops themselves, that is unusual. I have never seen those style before,I assume it would be quite the task to grind those down to get a straight leading edge to mount the bezels to properly. It also looks like there are no mounting holes on the underside of the scoops for any type of bezels to attach to.

Attachments

• 1315T.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 315
Those are definitely repops, I saw some at Carlisle and the guy was trying to pass them off as OEM. The factory scoops do not have that lip around them.

it appears that the scoops are exactly too long the same amount of the chrome width. doing some sizing and measuring, it does look like the chrome outline is added to the scoop. it appears that they can be sanded down to accomendate the chrom but is a lot of work. one thing about it, if it don't work, didn't loose much on repops. ill post some pics when through for the groups judgement before i put on.
just wanted to make sure i wasn't cutting up a rare part, not a repop. ive fixed worse.
tks guys, anyone else with insite let me know.

The lip on the leading edge is very small I do not have a micrometer or calipers to measure the lip thickness and width but it cannot be any more than 3/16ths of an inch I would guess. Maybe someone out here has a set that they could measure the lip and the overall and give you a reference as to how much you would need to take off of those scoops. I kind of feel bad now that you have bought the bezels and cannot use them out of the box. Sorry about this Mike.

yes thats the older style repop.

If you want to sell them and buy a nicer set I would be interested since I have a car that they would be perfect on (the '72 dart untop)

hey dustermatic, no problem, without the chrome, id never get the scoops to match and they wouldn't show well with that edge. untill now i did not know they were repops. i usually can fab real well so we will see how they come out. i assume by photos, the chrome is the exact height of the scoops, flush mount in other words.....

yes thats the older style repop.

If you want to sell them and buy a nicer set I would be interested since I have a car that they would be perfect on (the '72 dart untop)

thanks for the offer, but i think it would be cheaper for me to try and re-do. money is money, and time don't cost if you are doing it yourself.

now. if someone with a scoop off could send me some pics, close up, without the chrome and with the chrome. id be much ablidged. (tn) :)

Here are some pics of mine. Don't know if it helps. There is actually a small lip that the bezel fits over, maybe 1/16-1/8".

Attachments

• DSC00023 (Custom).JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC00054 (Custom).JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC00038 (Custom).JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC00016 (Custom).JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00014.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC00011 (Custom).JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC00055 (Custom).JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 161
YES that is exactly what i needed. do you have one close up of the "lip" where the chrome pushes on so i can get an idea of thickness. thank you so much for the pics

attachment.php
if someone would measure their scoops from the cneter front to the center rear. then i will know how much to cut off of the knock offs. it appears that mine are longer the same amount as the chrome would have added. get me within 1/16 if possible thanks in advance.!

-
Back