Hooker and Clifford Hedders

-

ChazRam

1964 Valiant V200
Reaction score
Which is better overall. I know Hookers are long tube (better balance and little more power) and Cliffords are shorties but a few things do concern me. Are the Hookers a bit close to the power steering box? Reason being I want to drive the car ALOT and dont want to 'cook' the gearbox in the process. Next concern is the flange thickness. I sized up my hedders with an aluminum intake and found the hedder flange is about an 1/8 of an inch thinner giving it a very loose fit. I have been shown that nuts can be welded on to help this problem. Someone told me the thickness of the Clifford shorties has a thicker flange and the hedders will fit snug, true or false? Does Hooker make a shim kit for an install with an aluminum intake? Kind of on the fence on which way to go. I would like reliable transportation without having to 'tweak' the hedders every time I turn around. Kind of sucks though in case the Cliffords are better due to the fact I had someone wanting these Hookers I have and that door has shut. Can anyone help with my questions, thanks.
Chas.

For the street I had good luck with the Cliffords.30,000 miles no problem. Added bonus ground clearance.Most guys now-a-days like their cars low.Can't say anything about Hookers ,never owned any.

The Hooker Comp headers I had used a thin flange as you describe. They give you a bag of half circle washers that you have to fish between the standard exhaust mount washers and the flange. The top is not real hard, some of the bottom one are really tough. I have seen some people weld the half circle washers to the header flange. It's kind of a half arsed solution. The clifford uses a flange that is the same as the intake thickness, much easier to install. Doesn't matter if it's an aftermarket or stock intake flange, those are all the same. Can't help on the power steering pump, never ran that combo.

Thanks for the info. I am going to wait until the holidays are over and during the dark of winter list these long tube Hookers for sale. Talked to someone at Clifford and he also said the flanges were what I was looking for. Kind of pricey for them but dont want the exhaust manifold with the new motor. Dont even know what to ask for the long tubes but I will figure it out! Might even find someone to trade? Not real important now with Christmas coming. Look at my picture for a laugh and you will see I am about to be very busy LOL!

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 248
-
Back