Hooker header poor design

-

71duster06

Reaction score
Im not sure if this is common or not but I noticed that only the outer exhaust flanges/port on my Hooker headers is smaller than the exhaust port on the head. I had issues with sealing these ports last year and realized that the header port doesnt match up very well. The lower portion of the header port chokes off a decent amount (acting as a short wall on the lowest portion of the exhaust port). Im not sure if I am explaining this very well but has anyone had issues with this? By the looks of it, it seems that the exhaust flow would be disrupted a fair amount... any insite would be great.....good old $200 headers at their best.

I've read through this several times and what I surmise you're saying is the the BOTTOM edge of the header port actually blocks some of the exhaust port on the head. Is that right?

I've read through this several times and what I surmise you're saying is the the BOTTOM edge of the header port actually blocks some of the exhaust port on the head. Is that right?

That is correct. It fits the rest of the port fine but the lowest portion of the port on the head is hitting that short wall from the header port being to small. Im curious on if this is hurting performance/high rpm hp at all. I would say its a good 1/4" wall...going by memory

WOW! That is off. I have not had that problem. Take a picture of this issue and try an E-mail to Hooker. Who knows?!

WOW! That is off. I have not had that problem. Take a picture of this issue and try an E-mail to Hooker. Who knows?!

Yeah. They are on the car....i am hoping to get TTI's or Dougs so Im really not to worried about it...they were the cheap competition headers but still frusterating...

Indeed, I would certainly suspect that is causing some turbulance....certainly not something headers are supposed to do.

Years ago, I helped my buddy install a set of Hookers on his 360 Mustang.
We noticed the lower side of the ports were blocked, this was due to the tight engine bay.
He called Hooker, they said it was fine & the exhaust flowed mostly out of the top of the port.
Yea, right.
We still installed them, what else are you going to do?

Years ago, I helped my buddy install a set of Hookers on his 360 Mustang.
We noticed the lower side of the ports were blocked, this was due to the tight engine bay.
He called Hooker, they said it was fine & the exhaust flowed mostly out of the top of the port.
Yea, right.
We still installed them, what else are you going to do?[/QUOTE

Yeah more of a cop out...but either way...I was just curious more than anything...like I said..I hope TTIs dont have this issue.

I had a similar dilemma with oversized ports on my modified T/A heads. The hooker headers port on both the 1 5/8's and 1 3/4's headers have the same size opening for stock exhaust port. The 1 3/4 tubes just open up once they leave the flange area. I had to buy the heddmen hustlers 1 7/8's tube headers to get a big enough opening to match my exhaust ports. Then they turned out to be mismarked for the wrong body style...

-
Back