Hooker headers

-
Hooker built a set of fender well headers for my friends '66 GT 340 .. FOR FREE .. "Let us have the car for a week and the headers are yours. No charge." Might be the same pattern they use now.

that would be interesting to find out..
Any time I heard that in the past, it was for someone's stock eliminator car..

that would be interesting to find out..
Any time I heard that in the past, it was for someone's stock eliminator car..

I was going to pull my car to California to have headers made. I ended up not doing it because they'd build the headers, but they wanted to use 1.750 tube and I said not only no but HELLFREAKINGNO.

We settled on 2.000 tubes but they day before I left to take the car down there, they called and said 1.875 tubes MAX and a 3 inch collector. I said you do realize I'm trying to make power at 8500 RPM. They said we don't care.

I built my own. I had some damn good help but in the process we invented several newcusswords and phrases.

A quality header builder is HIGHLY underpaid.

How long ago was that? That's interesting.
'74 or '75 Mike just called them and asked if they had such a creation. They were just over the hill from us in Ontario, Cucamonga, Fontana, somewhere in that neighborhood. When we picked it up it even had some little short Purple Hornie looking mufflers on it.

I was going to pull my car to California to have headers made. I ended up not doing it because they'd build the headers, but they wanted to use 1.750 tube and I said not only no but HELLFREAKINGNO.

We settled on 2.000 tubes but they day before I left to take the car down there, they called and said 1.875 tubes MAX and a 3 inch collector. I said you do realize I'm trying to make power at 8500 RPM. They said we don't care.

I built my own. I had some damn good help but in the process we invented several newcusswords and phrases.

8500 ?!?! holy smokes !
If I tried that, I'd be takin my motor home in a vacuum bag !
I would NEVER put a 3" collector on a 1 7/8 tube ! Those guys are bat **** crazy !

I'll probably never see the high side of 7k

Just so the term disassembly of the front suspension doesn't scare you. You just have to take out two of the steering link bolts and pound out loose with a pickle fork.
Use of a pickle fork warrants replacement of the affected part.

Use of a pickle fork warrants replacement of the affected part.
I was having trouble finding when and where I said that LOL I know she just quoted a part of what I was saying. That yes if you affected the part you have to replace it but there's of popping the ball joint off that doesn't create the problem. I've managed to do it gently enough not to get the boot roughed up too bad.

I was having trouble finding when and where I said that LOL I know she just quoted a part of what I was saying. That yes if you affected the part you have to replace it but there's of popping the ball joint off that doesn't create the problem. I've managed to do it gently enough not to get the boot roughed up too bad.
It isn't the boot so much as it is the strain to the joint. Shocking the taper with two hammers is the way to reuse a tie rod or ball joint.

well if it is the $750 semi fenderwell header they got now, they didnt make the flange the right size. IIRC its still 273/318 port size.

super comp SB headers are decidedly better than the other offerings by Hooker

no tubes under the steering and a much better fit with less dinging.

20170416_111800.jpg
Iam able to get a set of Hooker Headers #5901-1HKR at steal of a deal for my duster 340. Does anyone have any good or bad things/reviews to say about these before i commit to these. Im still a while out before I actually need a completed exhaust. I have power brakes, manual steering, 4 gear.
Thanks for your help

Hey Ryan,

I'm running hooker comps on my Duster and have had to take them on and off many times for various repairs etc. The key is to get your car as high as you safely can, i.e. 2.5-3 feet. Passenger side is easy (I do run a 90 degree filter adapter. ) the driver side is tighter but goes in easy enough if you can get a straight shot up into position from below. Hence, getting the front end up high. You do have to remove the steering arm, but that's no big deal at all. Haven't had any ground clearance issues at all. Though I don't go ape sh@t over rail road tracks and speed bumps. Let me know if you need any additional details.

Pat

Last edited:
View attachment 1715225055

Hey Ryan,

I'm running hooker comps on my Duster and have had to take them on and off many times for various repairs etc. The key is to get your car as high as you safely can, i.e. 2.5-3 feet. Passenger side is easy (I do run a 90 degree filter adapter. ) the driver side is tighter but goes in easy enough if you can get a straight shot up into position from below. Hence, getting the front end up high. You do have to remove the steering arm, but that's no big deal at all. Haven't had any ground clearance issues at all. Though I don't go ape sh@t over rail road tracks and speed bumps. Let me know if you need any additional details.

Pat

Hey drivenut...do you like that lift system? I've looked at a couple of them and I really need to buy something if I'm going to keep my car. I just don't want to drop a bit of money on something and hate it.

What do you think?

View attachment 1715225055

Hey Ryan,

Pat

Sounds like my experiences with those headers. I just use the short Mopar/Ford filter and I wrapped the starter with heat tape as a precaution.

I thought you'd be interested in this... vindicate your thoughts.

upload_2018-9-17_21-23-51.png

It isn't the boot so much as it is the strain to the joint. Shocking the taper with two hammers is the way to reuse a tie rod or ball joint.

Also much easier once you get the feel for how to tap it,i actualy feel stupid for all the times i used one of those forks before i learnt to do it the right way.

Also much easier once you get the feel for how to tap it,i actualy feel stupid for all the times i used one of those forks before i learnt to do it the right way.

Screw n jaw type separator works great.
Loosen the crown nut almost all the way till the crowns set higher than the tie rod bolt...then line the separtor bolt up with the crown recess...then tighten it a good amount and give tap with a hammer.

d3d39b3e-2b18-47a0-8596-e7878ad81441_1.daa9c1.jpeg

Oh boy the Pooy gets pretty thick...

-
Back