Horrific crash at Little River Dragway

-
This is who he was. Him and his brothers, like you guys, always had a liking for "fast cars". Unfortunately, this time it caught up with him. My family is in absolute shock. We have a large family and he was, by far, probably the most popular cousin. He loved everyone, had a great sense of humor, had a great relationship with all of us.
We loved him greatly and are really going to miss him.

This is who they are/were:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/14909622/...t/texas-men-truly-brothers-arms/#.VBaRZsJ0yCi

You guys/gals, please be careful. Your life is not your own. When you do this, think about what your loved ones will go through when your life is so tragically cut short.

Here is how the front of the car ended up.

**** guard rail was a major contributing factor.

lrcrash.jpg

WOW..God bless the driver and his family..that track don't look too safe.

This is who he was. Him and his brothers, like you guys, always had a liking for "fast cars". Unfortunately, this time it caught up with him. My family is in absolute shock. We have a large family and he was, by far, probably the most popular cousin. He loved everyone, had a great sense of humor, had a great relationship with all of us.
We loved him greatly and are really going to miss him.

This is who they are/were:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/14909622/...t/texas-men-truly-brothers-arms/#.VBaRZsJ0yCi

You guys/gals, please be careful. Your life is not your own. When you do this, think about what your loved ones will go through when your life is so tragically cut short.

Well said. I used to only think of myself when doing things that could easily kill me. Then I watched a mother get the news that her son had died and my life changed. I never want my mother to get that news and no mother should have to.

Your family will make it through this and always keep your cousin in your hearts.

Little River is mainly an 8th mile track except when the street cars run on Friday nights. It used to be quarter mile back in the old days but as the cars got faster the track got shorter. I've always liked the trees along the track there. Never thought of them as being dangerous but I've never smashed into one either.

It's a shame this guy got killed. Peace to the driver and his family.

May he rest in peace, I believe that 1/8 mile racing is safer and we are seeing several tracks going to 1/8 mile, most that do still allow 1/4 mile runs for street classes. This becomes dangerous when you can add a supercharger to a stock mustang gt and your in the low 10's. Tracks might what to keep everything 1/8 mile.

it is an issue with the driveshaft loop on that car or in this case a lack of one.
On a side note NHRA and IHRA has lessened the rules for modern cars but very few tracks even inforce those rules. The slack in those rules are for factory equip cars but most all if those cars are never kept factory.
Tracks want car counts and owners of these cars want to add performance mods not safety parts.
I see new model cars with no roll bars, no 5 point harnesses, no aftermarket axles with slicks, ect ect running 11.5 and faster at over 115 in the quarter all the time most of the time with a green driver.
This is the track owners fault and the sanctioning bodies fault. In the end it all comes down to one thing. CAR COUNTS at the track.

When I fist looked at the pictures of the track I immediately thought "those trees should have been gone years ago. The gaurdrail isn't the best but they did what they were supposed to from the look of it. Concrete can be climbed over too. But there should be aprons after the gaurdrails to allow for rolling, sliding, etc without a sudden impact stop. Too bad and sounds like a great loss all around.

Does everybody realize this post is from last year?

It's a scary looking little track. I live nearby but have not gone in years.
I remember standing at the starting line looking at the wavy narrowness of it and thinking, "Nah, not going to be the first track I run on."

They only run 1/8th mile now.
The track is for sale for about 750k.

ya I know it was from a year ago. I use to run at that track when they had a rickety walk bridge over the 330 mark and wood grand stands crammed next to that shitty guard rail barrier.
My point was it is very easy to make strong power out of these modern cars and when IHRA and NHRA don't make them have the same safety features you are going to have these issues. That car lost a 2 piece driveshaft and the pole vault it did broke the car in half then it hoped the rail and hit the tree. The same guy had also wrecked like a week before this happened.

-
Back