Horsepower question for the gear heads!

-

okiemike

Reaction score
I've got a 69 barracuda coupe with the 318 la, 2 barrell, single exhaust. I have installed dual exhaust but keeping the stock manifolds, machining the engine to zero deck, .030 over bore, flat top pistions, comp 260 cam, new roller time chain and gears. Reworking the heads, installing sp2p edlebrock alum intake and 600 cfm edlebrock carb. Question is (in your opinion) how much of a hp increase should I expect?

Hard to guess horsepower, but I think you'll be happy!

I believe you will find it a bad choice to zero deck the block. The pistons were routinely around or over .100" down in the bore at TDC. That would be one hell of a cut. You'd have to have the intake cut to match. That's a lot of milling that will add significant cost.

If you're just looking for a general number - somewhere on the order of 275hp would be where I'm at. Like RRR said - I hope you're replacing the pistons with performance versions if you're indeed zero decking them by cutting. You could probably get to the 300hp level with a better intake and headers - but what you have will work, and work well for a fun street cruiser.

i believe you will find it a bad choice to zero deck the block. The pistons were routinely around or over .100" down in the bore at tdc. That would be one hell of a cut. You'd have to have the intake cut to match. That's a lot of milling that will add significant cost.
x2

I've got a 69 barracuda coupe with the 318 la, 2 barrell, single exhaust. I have installed dual exhaust but keeping the stock manifolds, machining the engine to zero deck, .030 over bore, flat top pistions, comp 260 cam, new roller time chain and gears. Reworking the heads, installing sp2p edlebrock alum intake and 600 cfm edlebrock carb. Question is (in your opinion) how much of a hp increase should I expect?

1969 318/230 HP

Properly factored, 185 Horsepower at Flywheel.

With the above listed modifications, closer to 240 HP.

Sell/trade that intake for at least a Performer.
What is reworking the heads? What's involved?
I see approx. 275 HP with exhaust manifolds.
I see over 300 with headers well tuned.

I appreciate all the input, can't learn without asking questions and I truly value your opinions . Thanks

As said earlier, don't focus too much on the zero deck thing...unless you're replacing the pistons. More trouble then it's worth imo. Just use one of the thinner composite gaskets with nice flat deck work.

I like the cam. It's a nice "easy" lobe grind that will give you good drivability and many miles of enjoyment. Along with the SP2P, you should have a great torque curve from 2000 to 5000 rpm's.....Meaning I wouldn't worry to much about a max hp number.

But, if you twisted my arm, I'd probably go with 230/240hp @ close to 5k rpm's. Remember, engines like this, especially in a fairly light car, will run way better then the actual numbers would indicate.

Just build it basic & enjoy it...:)

X2 on getting a Performer intake.

Also, If you ever want to upgrade to headers then now is the time. Its a lot easier to get them in if there's no engine in the way. My $.02

The SP2P is a good intake used in its element. It's element is good bottom end torque and fuel mileage. They are a good intake for towing as the small ports increase velocity and promote bottom end torque.

That said, if you use it, you will need to be very careful how you cam the engine. IMO, that 260 cam would be the max. So, keep in mind, if you ever want to upgrade to a larger cam in the future, that intake will be a limiting factor. The Edelbrock performer is a better choice for that reason. However, if you don't ever plan on anymore upgrades, then use the SP2P.

All this of course is just my opinion.

RustyRatRod copyright 2015
All rights reserved.

Thanks OldmanRick, I really appreciate the input. I dont plan on ever going any more on the cam and were just looking for a tire squealer in the car cruz's. Just something that got a little pep and throttle response on the low end. I do appreciate everyone input because I'm new to the mopars and need all the advice I can get.

1969 '318'

The standard 1969 '318' had the Flat Top Pistons at {-.029"} down in the
hole {NHRA Specifications}.

That was for a Compression-Ratio of 9.2-1

Chopping another .029" off the Deck Block to get to .000".

"YIKES"

Taking another .029" off the Top will net you another {+.5} in
Compression Ratio, but there are better ways to 'Skin-A-Cat' here.

-
Back