Hot Rod Magazine DVD's in the mail?

-

classicfan1

Reaction score
I remember when they did this the first time a few years ago. Hot Rod would send you a DVD of a Chevelle rebuild and you either got to keep it and pay for it or mail it back. This crap was annoying first time around and I have since let my subscription run out a long time ago. Now they are doing it again (remember, I don't have a subscription and I still got one of these things).

I'm not going through this again. Based on what other people told me first time around and in my opinion, this is unwanted solicitation and likely illegal/mail fraud. One guy on a Chevelle forum I was on said that he kept every DVD and didn't send them a dime. I'm considering doing that or at least taking a car key to the stupid thing and then mailing back, hoping they might get the message.

This is like those free food samples in the grocery stores, only Hot Rod Magazine wants you to pay for it or barf it back up.

What do you guys think of this? Have you gotten any of these in the mail? What would you do?

I quit subscribing to their magazine more than twenty years ago, and I still get that crap from them. It goes in the garbage immediately. Just let them try to collect!

If a company of any sort mails you something with out you wanting, knowing or asking for it, it is a GIFT THAT NEEDS NO PAYMENT!

If you have asked them to stop mailing you things, anything and everything, be polite and collect everything. Send it back to them without your return address or maybe one of your co-workers you don't like return address.

Do not include anything else.

You don't need to say, mail, pay, or do a thing Rumblefish is absolutely correct!!!!

I was younger and dumber when they did this first time around and I bought into it. I'm not sending them a penny. Like I said, I let my subscription run out long ago, around 2009. That's 5 years ago now.

Just recently got that DVD myself. Sat and watched it and then sent it back.
I guess I would have concidered keeping it if they would have been redoing a Dart or at least an A-body. But a Chevelle no thanks.

Its unsolicited, you own them nothing. You didn't order it you can keep it. I got one a few years ago and kept it, didn't send them a dime.

Usually, they send a couple guilt trip letters if they haven't received money or the DVD in a few weeks. Then they figure out you're wise to it, and you rarely will get a second one.

Absolutely correct about unsolicited goods- no need to pay, send back, or even respond. It's yours free period.

I got one too. It sucks. Im going to use it in one of the classes I teach (engine repair) as an example of what Not to do when working on an engine. Its fine for you to work like they do in the video, but you dont do the things they do to "show" people how to work on this stuff.

-
Back