Hot Rodder or Purist?

Hot Rodder, Purist or Somewhere in between?

• Total voters
-
'66 Barracuda resto-mod here - upgraded for safety and comfort - Autometer gauges, high-back buckets, shoulder harnesses, double-pot master cylinder, built 273/4bbl w/headers in front of an A833/Hurst pistol-grip - but no body mods. My son fell in love with it 1st time he drove it, so putting $ into a car that will stay in the family for another 20-25 years is not a bad thing, no need to even think about getting $ back out of it.

I like all kinds. I started”hot ridding”when I could not afford an engine for my 40 Plymouth coupe. Found a wrecked 56 Pontiac and put them together. Now I have some factory oddball cars and trucks so I will keep them original. Enjoy the hobby, too many people seem to enjoy making others look small by trying to make themselves the”expert”! When I hold the title”it’s mine”!!

I like all kinds. I started”hot ridding”when I could not afford an engine for my 40 Plymouth coupe. Found a wrecked 56 Pontiac and put them together. Now I have some factory oddball cars and trucks so I will keep them original. Enjoy the hobby, too many people seem to enjoy making others look small by trying to make themselves the”expert”! When I hold the title”it’s mine”!!

Funny, when I dig down and get into it, I dont mind a Pontyknocker motor in something or an Olds.....maybe because they are not the 'run of the mill' engine. Maybe its because I used to run a Pontiac. Dunno, the 350/350 swap just gets to me. Its a great platform, and Ive seen them run like snot, hell, been beat by them.....but I didnt mind as much when they were beating me in a Nova vs a non Chevy. Even when it was a GM product like a Buick Pontiac Olds. but whatever .....I guess Im just a little bitchy like that. good to know your limits. ABODYS rule!

My preferences have changed over the years, but it completely depends on the car I'm starting with.
My GTSs stayed stock, relatively speaking... they weren't very hacked up and deserved to be somewhat "preserved". My wagon got a TBI 360 and full running gear update, since it's our cruiser and road trip car; but it retains the old school feel and look. With my Sweptline I'm leaning towards a 5.7/NV4500 swap, because I like that setup in my shop truck. My five-lug Dak is in the process of a 5.9/AX15 swap with every leftover speed part I have just because I need a snotty little hell raiser to have some fun with. I appreciate custom and aftermarket parts, but finances tend to make me stay with Mopar parts... 'cause I can just go to my shelf for them.
I don't follow any particular set of rules with any of my builds, but I can appreciate them all. I guess I'm all over the map on this, I just like to build.

Funny, when I dig down and get into it, I dont mind a Pontyknocker motor in something or an Olds.....maybe because they are not the 'run of the mill' engine. Maybe its because I used to run a Pontiac. Dunno, the 350/350 swap just gets to me. Its a great platform, and Ive seen them run like snot, hell, been beat by them.....but I didnt mind as much when they were beating me in a Nova vs a non Chevy. Even when it was a GM product like a Buick Pontiac Olds. but whatever .....I guess Im just a little bitchy like that. good to know your limits. ABODYS rule!
This was in the early 60’s! I’m an old guy after the 40 I bought a 37 Plymouth coupe for $10.00 and put a 312 mercury in it. At the time we just made them go with anything we could scrounge! That is probably why I have a menagerie!!!

This was in the early 60’s! I’m an old guy after the 40 I bought a 37 Plymouth coupe for $10.00 and put a 312 mercury in it. At the time we just made them go with anything we could scrounge! That is probably why I have a menagerie!!!

That is Hot Roddin to the core!

I agree I am quite purist when it comes to the powerplant. I still applaud when a guy does an LS swap when he is having fun. His car...n all that. I have to admit that when I see the 350/350 swap into a 32 ford I do cringe a bit even though technically it was a 'period' effort. 'Period' meaning in the times dudes were hot rodding these, it seemed there was a lot of 350/350 swaps happening.
Just like d5657 just said.
If we go back to the beginning of hot rods, people took whatever engine and trans that gave them the power with affordability , desirability, and availability.
I have a 50 Dodge with a bad stuck flat head. That might not work out, and if not, it will get a mopar engine of some flavor, not a GM whatever. Just me.

20191225_163012.jpg
Im trying hard to kill the 2.8 v6 in my s10 mini truck to put a '63 215 buick motor in it. over rev the **** outta that thing. its f'n gutless, but fun to pitch into a corner with front and rear sway bars and 150# of gravel bags in the back. I put 28" ATV soft compound tires on some 14x8 old school slotted mags on her for a slow slide.....even if it gets there. Mini Truck!

View attachment 1715743995 Im trying hard to kill the 2.8 v6 in my s10 mini truck to put a '63 215 buick motor in it. over rev the **** outta that thing. its f'n gutless, but fun to pitch into a corner with front and rear sway bars and 150# of gravel bags in the back. I put 28" ATV soft compound tires on some 14x8 old school slotted mags on her for a slow slide.....even if it gets there. Mini Truck!

Did that to a '66 Datsun truck in my teens. Saginaw behind it, stock diff, 2" body lift, L78 Norsemans. We did pretty good for a couple of kids. :steering:

My dad was a purist. He wanted the original air in the tires if he could get it.
I see no reason not to make my cars the way I want them. I like a willys or henry j a lot more with a blown hemi, than a four cylinder flathead. Same applies to almost all mopars.

guy down the street has a 40 ford coupe with a 283 and a T-10....Its perfect...just as its been since the early 70s...

I agree I am quite purist when it comes to the powerplant. I still applaud when a guy does an LS swap when he is having fun. His car...n all that. I have to admit that when I see the 350/350 swap into a 32 ford I do cringe a bit even though technically it was a 'period' effort. 'Period' meaning in the times dudes were hot rodding these, it seemed there was a lot of 350/350 swaps happening.

Actually more 283 or 327 manual trans swaps (usually three speeds) when hot rods were first a thing. Big car motors were even more popular (Olds Rocket, Cadillac, Lincoln, and Chrysler. Even a few Nail heads) if they could be found. The basic recipe was a $25 jalopy and a junkyard motor, whatever they had...

View attachment 1715743995 Im trying hard to kill the 2.8 v6 in my s10 mini truck to put a '63 215 buick motor in it. over rev the **** outta that thing. its f'n gutless, but fun to pitch into a corner with front and rear sway bars and 150# of gravel bags in the back. I put 28" ATV soft compound tires on some 14x8 old school slotted mags on her for a slow slide.....even if it gets there. Mini Truck!
oh you can't (near impossible) kill those. I tried to kill my 4.3 in my 92 Sonoma because I wanted to do the same thing but I wanted to put in a eaton supercharged vortec 4.3 (it has the normal ol' 4.3 with the internal counterweights)
I did burnouts on the same corner every morning after work (when it was 30-45 degrees out) and the engine was dead cold. every burnout the oil pressure dropped from 40lbs. to ZERO. and I kept my foot in it until i felt like letting out (usually well after 6500rpm) has not died, and the only reason I stopped trying to kill it was because my mom caught me in the middle of one of my burnouts and told me to stop. :(

I appreciate full 100 point cars, I also appreciate individual personal builds/visions. I have what I can (or want to) afford. I'm in the hobby for the camaraderie.

I appreciate everything but when it comes to my stuff I'm a hot rodder, after all I have a "chevy scoop" on my hood!.

For me it's in-between.
My base, 225 Slant 6, 904, manual steering, manual drum brake, no A/C Duster is (was) nothing too special...
I made it special to me by doing a daily driver with semi-restomod setup.
I'm not worried about making my base model Gold Duster detract from orginal specs.

Right now it has a built 1991 Roller LA 360 in it.
It's going to have an early 2000's Magnum based 408 stroker in it soon.
It also has a modified A999 from a 1988 Diplomat police cruiser

It has 90% of the front suspension replaced with aftermarket (QA1, PST, ProForged).
It has Mitsubishi Eclipse front seats in it.
I was going to put in a Ford 9 inch, but I lucked out and found an 8 3/4 shell for dirt cheap.
It's going to have rear disc brakes put into it so it can have all 4 wheels disc brakes.
It now has 17 inch rims all around and this thing now handles like a dream!
IMG_20210519_193956345.jpg

-
Back