Hot Rodder or Purist?

Hot Rodder, Purist or Somewhere in between?

• Total voters
-
I used to build engines. Anything other than a MOPAR engine in a MOPAR car, and I have zero interest. When you have the best, why cheap out. The same goes for the rest of the drive train and brakes. If you want cheap, get a Nova or Camaro and hack away. I have no problem upgrading a MOPAR to the best MOPAR drive train, brakes and suspension.

I’m too poor and too hard on my junk to be a purist so I’m a hot rodder by default. Nothing is sacred.

I'm probably like most, if it's a slant 6 car I'll hot rod or cut it up...there is a exception lately, these cars are getting harder to find & more expensive. Cars I would do engine swap but not turn full drag race would be original 340 cars or big block barracuda & darts
Now my 70 dart is going to turn into a 68 with my skill set. 68 dart is my dream car & it will be a race car. By the way I can only afford /6 cars

Last edited:
I'll always be a hot rodder. Since I'll never be able to afford a car to be a "purist" with, that's how I like it.

Original has a place, but that is limited. If they were so good they would still be made that way. Update for modern dependability and performance anywhere that improves over old tech.

I’m a hot rodder. I don’t pick up cars that are good candidates for a resto. I won’t cut up a good car for the stuff I do. I love the resto guys until they start busting my balls. I really don’t wanna hear it....
But I do like a good restoration.

I'm a mix of both. Certain cars I like to remain original, or as original as possible. My example there is my wife's GTS convertible.

Others, I am all in favor of hot rodding, like my '67 Barracuda convertible and my son's '67 Dart GT convertible. Both left Hamtramk with 273 two-barrel automatic drive trains. Both now sport 440s, mine with an auto and my son's with a four speed. If either of these were a 273 four barrel car it likely would have remained that way, however there is a spare 340 around here...

As the years rage on and these cars keep getting older, I'm moving more towards a hot rodder approach because I daily drive my old cars as my only transportation, so if an updated part can bring more reliability and more efficient operation, then I'm all for it.

Rear ends are a good example. I've switched to a lot of Ford 8.8. Who can beat the price and parts availability.

I'm just looking to keep some of these cars on the road until they get forced off the road beyond my control. Until then, it's a game to see what the most amount of miles I can go per year.

2019 was 15,680 miles for the year

Well, hot rodding is always fun and great, but a little piece of me will always say "maybe you shouldn't hack up your numbers matching, totally stock and not been tampered with duster." then another part of me will take over and just go balls to the wall and cut up the IMMACULATE floor pan to weld in a 4 speed hump. also, if a car is rare or not easily accessible or has some special history, like an ex drag car or a grandma owned coronet 440 4 speed, then no. don't hack it up and ruin it but if you do, make it badass and not a restomod. (there are times and places for them but unmolsted drivers are not the place.)

I do wish purists would keep their critiques of us non-purists to a minimum.

I do wish purists would keep their critiques of us non-purists to a minimum.
Well, I'm sure theres plenty of purists out there that love a great hotrod build, fact is alot of people can't pull off a good hotrod build.

In my genetic make up
DSC_0150.jpg

Pure is nice
Lots more fun to be had with the alternative :D

I do love me a stock looking car that has upgraded internals, hidden speed parts, or even a stocker that is truly all stock but tuned to the 9's. It will only run a low 13 but much respect to those that can pull it off.

I like the sleeper look, and don't have any real brand loyalty, I've owned nearly every make and unless it's a real rare one, I see no reason not to modify it to make it my own.

I am a hot rodder. To me nothing is sacred and I don’t cast blame on a guy for doing what he/she wants with their own car. I will cut up just about anything, hell i have a 63 falcon with a turbocharged Honda v6 and a Miata 6 speed. But I also agree that there are some exceptions. Some cars need to be restored and “pure”. 68 hurst hemi darts and barracudas come to mind. But even if I could afford one of those I’d probably still try and drive it to work because I hate any car that doesn’t get driven.

My fastback came to me in boxes and no tags. I was happy because I knew a mini tub/frame stiffening was in its future. Putting the alternator on drivers side, headers, paint...etc etc. But Im putting steelies with dog dish and it will be very 'period'. Should appease most crowds. I gotta have those meats though.

I fall somewhere in the middle. I like building somewhat warmed up street driveable cars but dont want to spend the money on frame connectors or reworking the wheel tubs. I do enjoy looking at everything from bone stock numbers match to pro street.

I said way back in the 80s. one day people will be making street rods out of 60s muscle cars.
The came the resto mod.
Not sure exactly WTF pro street was!
I have restored many, but I tend to agree with the guy that said " anyone can restore a car, not everyone can build a hot rod"!! ha

Like the cowboy said "some can rope a 300 lb steering in the 150 x 300 ft arena, not everyone can rope a 1500 lb. mad as hell cow running down a steep hill in a 500 ac. pasture"! ha again

They are just cars. Yes so many are so far out of reach for me, but in the end, they are just cars to me. There is a place for everything. I love cars across the board. I have my 1971 GSS Demon with a tunnel rammed 440, 2 rat rods and building a 68 Charger NASCAR style. Have fun in whatever you like, stare at them in the garage or museum, race them, drive them to work every day, etc. As long as you are enjoying the time in your own way, that is the purist part of the hobby in my eyes. Does that make me a purist now?

" anyone can restore a car, not everyone can build a hot rod"

Hmmmmmm....restoring a car to the standard of stock with all the different things like overspray and correct numbers would be a DAUNTING TASK for me. I feel that takes an eye for detail and patience. You need to be able to color in the lines way more than building something that a builder can 'take liberty' with and 'massage' into place....but just my perspective. and I am more hot rodder than anything.

-
Back