Hotchkis 76 Dart Build

-

DTMRacing

Reaction score
As most of you guys know, we work very closely with Hotchkis to develop the Mopar line. I think the cat is pretty much out of the bag as to Hotchkis building a 76 Dart. The guys working on the car are the same folks who assemble all of our components we sell as well. So I think it is time for some pictures!

Hotchkis Performance East is our all-new facility in Mooresville, North Carolina that specializes in custom fabrication, cooling system optimization, racing safety equipment design and installation, and race car prep in addition to manufacturing and installing Hotchkis Sport Suspension products. It is headed up by Kevin Bryde, a designer and fabricator with over 17 years’ experience in motorsports. Kevin’s career has let him work with some of the most talented drivers in the industry including Dick Trickle, Tony Stewart, Sterling Marlin, Dario Franchiti, Juan Pablo Montoya, Martin Truex Jr., and Jamie McMurray. Most recently Kevin worked for Chip Ganassi Racing in its Engineering Department where his duties included design, fabrication, and prototyping for NASCAR, Indy Car, and Rolex Sports Car race cars. Kevin also has over ten years’ experience in all aspects of driver safety, including seat, head restraint, and race car cockpit design.

Introduction:

11939445053_0ecde13469_z.jpg

11939609014_b757d7fb38_z.jpg

Hotchkis Performance East's latest project is a complete buildup of this 1976 Dodge Dart for Kevin Wesley, creator of the Hotchkis Autocross Taxi and avid driving enthusiast. Kevin's goal for this car is to have a car that he can take to compete in events like Targa Newfoundland and Pikes Peak, so this car has to be fast, but it also has to be safe. It will be receiving a full FIA-based roll cage, a modern 6.4L Hemi and Legend GT-700 transmission transplant, full Hotchkis TVS suspension, and more. Stay tuned to this thread as we continually update it with new pictures of the build as we overhaul this former Mopar econobox.

11939444893_681448224d_c.jpg

As you can see, when the car first rolled in the shop it was already stripped down and had an old roll cage in it. Though it looked a little rough, it was in fairly good shape and the body was straight and mostly rust-free.

11939444913_bdc06eeb36_z.jpg

Even the roof was rust-free and only had the adhesive residue from the original vinyl top.
Step 1: Engine Mounts

The first thing we had to do with the Dart was to get its new Mopar 6.4L HEMI and Legend GT-700 transmission into place. Once we determined how much clearance was needed for the oil pan, headers, steering rack, etc, we were able to begin to design the mounts.

11938788003_7dcd42075a_z.jpg

Once we got all of our measurements, it was off to the drawing board. What we came back with was this beautiful piece:

[image]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2871/11938498455_e11826a31c_z.jpg[/image]

Now we were free to create the frame mounts and test fit the mounts together. Here's the passenger side:

11938790053_584c27f44c_z.jpg

And here's the driver's side:

11938507535_3266c57fa0_z.jpg

As you can see, the clearance is perfect and the new HEMI looks quite good in its new home.

[image]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7357/11939166885_0edbf0864a_z.jpg[/image]

More photos of the engine mounts here: [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hotchkis/sets/72157639748590773/"]Project 76 Dart - Engine Mounts - a set on Flickr[/ame]

Transmission Crossmember:

The final step to marrying the modern 392 HEMI and Legend transmission to the car was the fabrication of a new transmission crossmember. Here you can see one of our master welders and fabricators working on the end plate to the new crossmember:

11938822035_992c3627e7_z.jpg

And here's a close-up of his steady hands at work:

11938820375_6e7c14d258_z.jpg

More welding:

11939094403_1fbcac3166_z.jpg

Here's the finished product. Gotta love the color of welding:

11939257824_066a2ef1b2_z.jpg

And now to fitting the newly fabricated crossmember to the car:

11938812055_cdf78d8450_z.jpg

11939254844_4303768ddb_z.jpg

11938806405_27a4a74a6e_z.jpg

More photos of the crossmember here: [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hotchkis/sets/72157639747282175/"]Project 76 Dart - Transmission Crossmember - a set on Flickr[/ame]

Step Two: FIA-Based Roll Cage

Now that the engine and transmission have been mounted, it was time to construct the roll cage. Because of the different races the owner wants to be able to use this car for, we needed to make sure that all of the safety equipment conformed to the necessary regulations so that it could be raced anywhere in the world. After consulting with the Rally America Competition Director Mike Hurst, it was time to begin the construction. But before we could do that we had to cut out a few sections of the existing cage.

11938918833_11ebd48560_z.jpg

Once the parts of the old cage were removed we began by constructing diagonal bracing and rear kicker braces that connect to the main hoop. Because this is going to be a leaf spring car, the rear kickers had to extend all of the way to the rear mounting points of the springs.

11939483676_b3bd13dba4_z.jpg

11939537726_123796ecb6_z.jpg

Now that the basics were covered it was time to add the increased protection required by the higher levels of motorsports. First up were the door bars, which help protect the driver and passenger from cabin intrusions from contact during wheel-to-wheel racing or from collisions with other objects. After laying out the design on the table, we bent the bars to match the pattern before fitting them to the car.

11938639755_a155686901_z.jpg

11939531086_3c3e1bba3e_z.jpg

After the bars were tacked into place, we double checked all of the measurements and angles for compliance before fully welding all of the joints.

11939134334_02efb0f07d_z.jpg

To make this cage as strong as possible, the main joints all received additional bracing and “taco gusset“ reinforcement.

11938668325_f65681d7e4_z.jpg

11938941203_093b87510f_z.jpg

11939113214_259c3547f1_z.jpg

A good roll cage will tie into the unibody structure in as many places as possible. Not only does this make the vehicle safer, but it dramatically increases the rigidity of the unibody, reducing chassis flex during hard cornering. Here you can see the installation of the A-pillar gussets that are critical for driver safety in the event of a roll over.

11939511826_105af69d94_z.jpg

11938650715_13a60a907d_z.jpg

11938646425_831fd10eb5_z.jpg

More photos of the safety cage construction here: [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hotchkis/sets/72157639747044065/"]Project 76 Dart - Roll Cage - a set on Flickr[/ame]
But a proper safety cage doesn’t just end at the firewall. It extends all the way through the engine bay to reinforce the front clip and add stiffness to the front of the car. This added rigidity helps handling by allowing the suspension to do its work without having to control chassis flex while also delivering improved driver safety.

11938920554_0b1a73c2c8_z.jpg

11939306496_90a6e9c35c_z.jpg

Regulations require the mounting points to be 18 square inches, so to maximize area we developed a compact mount with multiple fingers to better fit the unique curves at the corners of the engine bay while also helping to spread the load over a larger area.

11939304706_31685c8661_z.jpg

12209068713_9b502e3e43_z.jpg

12208859785_e1f0f494a5_z.jpg

The next step to reinforcing the front end was to tie these new bars into the upper shock mounts. Like the star-shaped mounts on the firewall, these mounts are fabricated out of 16-gauge sheet metal and are designed to disperse the tremendous forces the upper shock mounts will see during racing events.

12209074593_21db6a7b64_z.jpg

12209480636_bcc4aac590_z.jpg

12209268804_4bd05fd753_z.jpg

12209086183_b9a9c2b779_z.jpg

12208881235_8ce8462153_z.jpg

Here is the finished product with completed firewall, frame, and shock mounts:

12209167545_df980ba18b_z.jpg

12209161275_6f5f86a857_z.jpg

Now it was time to work on the bay bars that will tie the two shock towers together. But before we could start designing those we had to check how much clearance we had between the engine and the hood.

12209151895_c4e39e117c_z.jpg

12209554724_122e69baf8_z.jpg

Even thought he clearance was tight, there was still ample room to fit the bars without contacting the hood or the intake manifold. Now it was time to take our measurements and begin constructing the bay bars (which act similar to a bolt-in strut/shock tower brace in street cars).

12209110603_18c19d09de_z.jpg

12209117353_b6e78db260_z.jpg

12208908305_9265c839cc_z.jpg

12208912445_2ca26c9e5b_z.jpg

12208919035_440673377a_z.jpg

After creating the basic structure of the bay bars we reinforced them with new gussets.

12209252004_b2f87c6aff_z.jpg

12209324854_8eb89bf823_z.jpg

12996244904_6200d36270_z.jpg

12996247354_87c78a1060_z.jpg

12996252894_85ce8ecb8d_z.jpg

Here is the finished product with the ends trimmed down for access to the bolts for easy removal:

13092441475_a95a20714d_c.jpg

13092572493_bb5211602f_c.jpg

13092743754_ac05a7f6b3_c.jpg

More photos of the Engine Bay Bar construction here: [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hotchkis/sets/72157639746540665/"]Project '76 Dart - Engine Bars - a set on Flickr[/ame]

Wow! Nice work, that looks rock solid nothing is going to flex that chassis. Built for the Baja 1000?

UNFREAKINBELIEVEABLE!!! Beautiful work, I grew up working around my dads weld shop and you guys really impressed me!!

How much is too much???? I understand safety and protection but this car ain't doing no 140 mph at anytime soon. Well i guess it's the customers money,Who am I ?????? would really like to know how much $$$$$$ is going to be tied up in this??? for a 76 Dart???? Are you removing the safety bumpers too????? gee why is Hotchkis stuff over the top expensive??? Thanks for the pic's and nice story--Steve

How much is too much???? I understand safety and protection but this car ain't doing no 140 mph at anytime soon. Well i guess it's the customers money,Who am I ?????? would really like to know how much $$$$$$ is going to be tied up in this??? for a 76 Dart???? Are you removing the safety bumpers too????? gee why is Hotchkis stuff over the top expensive??? Thanks for the pic's and nice story--Steve

Steve, this car is being built for a customer and friend of ours at his expense. He is having the car built to FIA specs in anticipation of running Silver State, Pikes Peak, Sandhills Open Road Challenge, and even hopes to make it to Targa. I've raced with Kevin and you may know some of his exploits in Mopar Action as driver of the Green Brick and several other cars competing in Hill Climbs. I'd be willing to wager this car will see north of 150mph more than once.

And the "over the top price" is for quality components and skilled fabrication and design like you see here. The same guys building this car are the guys that build the components sold by Hotchkis. There is no difference in the quality given to this car and a set of A-body control arms. A better question of "why is Hotchkis so expensive?" can be answered with a question: "How are others doing it so cheaply?"

not going to argue with ya-Nice build-must be nice to have a open check book-I work for a living so that will never happen-I didn't see where you listed what this build will be in the end????? Your a dork "How are others doing it so cheaply" why don't you look up the home grown HDK set-up here-you could use it in this build-I dare you to pick apart the quality of the HDK k-frame-puts your welders to shame--Steve

Steve,
This car, our Road Runner and The Hotchkis Challenger E-Max will be at all-Mopar events around the country as well as numerous rallies, open road races and hillclimbs. I look forward to racing with and against folks with kits from all manufactures waving the Mopar flag. And I can't wait to see you and your cars at some of them.

That means nothing to me Dude,Come to the 1/4 and we'll go down,OH but wait I'm not smart enough to around and around I just go straight,Just admit this is over engineered to the max and having a open check book has a lot to do with it. Have a great night--Steve

Awesome build! Beautiful work.

I don't think most people have any idea what it means to be able to compete at some of those events, especially internationally. Building any car for multiple competitions, with different rulebooks and safety standards, can get complicated. An FIA based cage that can meet the requirements at all of those different venues is a technical, complicated masterpiece.

Looking forward to seeing some of the suspension work, props to you guys for keeping the torsion bars and leaf springs. Further proof that with the right set up, torsion bars and leaf springs can be pretty darn quick.

I just wish Hotchkis start making tubular UCA's that had bushings instead of heims. Heims are spectacular for the track, but for longevity's sake I think bushings are still better suited for the street.

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Not pissed at all guy's,Just asked a few questions THAT'S ALL. I apologize if I came off the wrong way.Go price Hotchkis stuff for your mopar,It's one of the company's that takes advantage of the Mopar lower production numbers-Check and see,Here's a example-Upper control arms--somewhere in the $500-$600 range when there is $75.00 in materials-That's all-Enjoy your weekend and this outstanding build--Steve

Steve,
While your $75.00 in materials could be correct if we used the finest components China has to offer, we don't, so you can easily double that. On top of that you should probably add your overhead:
Sales Staff
R&D (Certified engineers)
R&D (Drivers and Fabricators)
Production staff (Certified Welders)
Assembly Staff (Nut and Bolt Guys)
Powdercoat
Packaging
Shipping Department
Customer Service
Building and Utilities

Some on this site and Moparts have gotten some Hotchkis control arms that were "blems" (poor powder coating, installed never used,etc) and gotten them at JUST the cost of building the arms, i.e. production. Trust me when I say there is a huge difference between buying from a company like Hotchkis and buying something from a guy building things out of his garage. How is Dillinger Customer Service these days? When was the last time ANY of the other manufacturers hosted an autocross for ANYONE, regardless of product manufacturer to come out and join us?
At my shop we've done everything from factory rebuilds, RMS, Hotchkis, Firmfeel, QA1 and the like. They all have their place in the market, but I'll only put Hotchkis on my cars and my wife's cars, which are daily driven and raced at least once a month. I've had numerous customers that had me install products from other companies, one drive in one of our cars, and they instantly regret going with someone else. Its the best kit that keeps the integrity and heritage of the car without compromise to quality components and manufacturing all while keeping the spirit of the car. I'm sorry it's not for you, but when was the last time you drove a car with Hotchkis components on it?

Not pissed at all guy's,Just asked a few questions THAT'S ALL. I apologize if I came off the wrong way.Go price Hotchkis stuff for your mopar,It's one of the company's that takes advantage of the Mopar lower production numbers-Check and see,Here's a example-Upper control arms--somewhere in the $500-$600 range when there is $75.00 in materials-That's all-Enjoy your weekend and this outstanding build--Steve

Swifter this is a build thread. In my opinion you're way out of line in so many ways by injecting your negative opinions and/or you're dislikes of a particular build or manufacture in this thread. There is a time and places to do that here in other threads on for abodiesonly, but this build thread is not it.

I am going to chime in on this because the discussion represents a subject that I have been observing with interest for some time. As to the price of Hotchkis products, I believe the points made by DTMRacing are extremely valid. The cost of employing the services of professional engineers is significant, believe me. Yet for a company marketing suspension products for public use, it represents an intelligent investment, and I'll tell you why. I have been in business for over 40 years in a two different fields, supplying various products to the public. During that time I have been involved in a couple of legal actions brought against associated manufacturers, and one of my companies was "named" in a suit. I truly wonder if these little companies, or one man operations, realise the risk they are exposing themselves to. Inevitably, unavoidably, a vehicle with one of these tubular wonders is going to be involved in a fatal accident of some kind. When (not if) that happens, the relatives; wife, parents, whatever, are going to be looking for a settlement ..read $$$$$
They hire legal representation to go after insurance money from whoever is involved. So what happens then is the insurance company examines the accident and vehicle(s) for cause. When it is discovered that this vehicle has been tampered with (even by the now deceased owner) they go looking for further cause. i.e. what all was done and where the components came from. The legal team then tracks down and researches the company that supplied the components. When it is found that this was a non-professionally designed and built product, that company WILL be named in the legal action. There may have been absolutely no wrong doing, or fault on the part of the people that made the product, but it won't matter; they will still be named. The cost of defense in a fatal claim will be six figures. I have a friend who develops sub-divisions. Last year, a guy who was intoxicated removed the barriers and warning signs, and drove his car into the site, lost control at high speed and slammed into a bulldozer, killing himself and seriously injuring his passenger. Even though all of the above is proven fact, Brian's company has been named. So far his legal bill is in excess of $125,000 dollars for legal preparation and they haven't been in a courtroom yet. Now the plaintiff's legal people know that they don't have a prayer of winning in court, but they know that it will cost Brian an additional
$ 250,000 to defend. They have made it known that they are open to an out of court offer. You see how it works. Legal black mail. Brian has the resources to defend, but what about someone like Reilly Motorsports, or Magnum Force or this Hemidenny chap. And by the way, all the legal disclaimer stickers in the world won't prevent them being named. So for people like Hotchkis or XV, that have professional engineering documentation, it is at least some defense against frivolous legal actions. Now I'm sure there will be people here who think I don't know what I'm talking about, but believe me..I do. I have the financial scars to prove it.

Wow this is an incredible build. Shame there is some nonsensical bickering. Anyhow, i have a question. I see the tunnel cut out for the transmission. Is that for normal fitment or because the engine is sitting higher than the factory position?

Nice fab work.

Having stuff engineered or having engineers on staff won't stop you from ending up in court as a defendant any better than the guy working in his garage. Hope your liability/umbrella is paid up... :)

-
Back