Hotchkis or QA1 all inclusive kits - which one?

-
If someone can’t tell the difference between 1.03” bars and 1.14” bars they probably shouldn’t be doing suspension work! If his bars are from Sway Away that makes sense, more options there for sure.

Firm Feel is also a small business that has been making Mopar suspension and steering products for a long time and has a ton of experience. So is DoctorDiff, for that matter.

Again, nothing against BergmanAutoCraft, I have plenty of BAC parts on my car and they’re awesome, Peter sells great stuff and he’s the only supplier for some of my favorite parts (Delrin bushings, modified SPC UCA’s). But I also have parts from Firm Feel, and DoctorDiff, and others.

Setting up a car depends a lot on application and driver’s preference, and getting it dialed in can mean sourcing parts from multiple places. The more options out there the better!

The Green Brick was a great start for when it was, but tire compounds, shock technology, brakes etc have all made huge advances since then. The Green Brick would not be nearly as successful with that set up at todays street car challenges and AutoX’s.

And honestly, some of the stock parts used on the brick are not cheap to find in good condition anymore. The aluminum 3rd member sure as heck isn’t! Mopar Performance torsion bars aren’t cheap either. Innovative at the time, but it’s half measures compared to what’s available now.

Uh, Firm Feel offers suspension and steering parts in one place. You have a few more options, but, they still offer both.

When I built my Challenger, Firm Feel was really the only place to go for serious handling parts. Reinforced K frames, torsion bars, sway bars, rebuilt steering boxes with fast ratio chucks, poly and nylon bushings, tubular tie rod adjusters, pitman and idler arms, roller bearing idlers, sector support braces, adjustable strut rods (before QA1 made them!) custom leaf springs, Bilstein shocks, etc. And you can absolutely call them up and have a meaningful conversation about setting up your car for your own application, I have.

I’m not trying to knock you or your business, as you know I run a ton of your parts and I love all of them. The roller bearing idler I installed a little while back is awesome, and made a huge difference in steering effort. But, yeah, I have awesome parts from Firm Feel too. It’s great that there’s multiple places to go now where someone looking to set up a great handling Mopar can go or call and get experienced advice and great parts. The more options out there the better!

like i said. I'd rather one stop shop. just easier and less trouble. do what ya want though.

I have a question off topic. Anybody know if you're doing burnouts or donuts with the OEM steelies with the dog dish hubcaps, do the hubcaps come flying off like they do in the movies? Asking for a friend.

Hey all, wanted to chime in here as I started this post and wanted to provide an update. Firstly, HUGE shouts out to @BergmanAutoCraft and @72bluNblu - your advice and many of the parts you recommended has been super helpful in my build. My 1973 Scamp is now fully finished - I mainly went with Peter’s parts, as it was easier to use one supplier - plus, to his word, Peter answers messages and calls and has been a huge help - thank you - plus, @72bluNblu went above and beyond with advice - so much help - so grateful and thankful . Both of these gentlemen are true experts. I went off-piste a little from their advice and added new 6-leaf springs from ESPO (as I’m adding a 360 in a few months, so beefed that up a bit) and Galaxy R1 G/T Tires from Vitour - they’re probably Chinese but after lots of digging looked like the best bet if I kept my 14-inch Magnum wheels and they’re are super sticky - I can vouch for that and highly recommend them (I will be upgrading to bigger and wider wheels in a year or so but for now I’ve a look I like and high speed rating tires that offer plenty of grip). The car handles amazingly well now. The Borgeson steering box is just - wow - amazing feel. I’ve the sway-a-way torsion bars, BAC/SPC upper control arms, Hellwig sway bars, Bilstein shocks and other bits and bobs from BAC etc. If any of you are thinking about modifying the dynamics of your steering and suspension, it’s not cheap but boy oh boy, it’s night and day in difference, every corner I go round I try to swing out wider on entry, kicking into the apex tighter, just because the car glues to the road and the whole thing makes me smile from ear to ear. Thanks for all the help - I couldn’t have got the car so perfectly set-up without the advice from this group !

IMG_9001.jpeg

Last edited:
For those looking for a higher level, things have evolved greatly since then.
Just a stock replacement setup for me. Mainly street.
Mopar action green brick formula

Archives
Sorry - it’s night and day, the difference is HUGE. I was rolling around allover the place - some simple mechanics, with modern materials, and finish, has transformed the way she drives. Cars dynamically improved over the years, I’ve not wanted to lose the ‘stock look and posture’ but some supple changes underneath have made a significant difference. If you want to cruise in a straight line, no need to move away from stock, if you want to punch into and out of a corner and boost your personal safety in the process, these are the mods to do!!

Hey all, wanted to chime in here as I started this post and wanted to provide an update. Firstly, HUGE shouts out to @BergmanAutoCraft and @72bluNblu - your advice and many of the parts you recommended has been super helpful in my build. My 1973 Scamp is now fully finished - I mainly went with Peter’s parts, as it was easier to use one supplier - plus, to his word, Peter answers messages and calls and has been a huge help - thank you - plus, @72bluNblu went above and beyond with advice - so much help - so grateful and thankful . Both of these gentlemen are true experts. I went off-piste a little from their advice and added new 6-leaf springs from ESPO (as I’m adding a 360 in a few months, so beefed that up a bit) and Galaxy R1 G/T Tires from Vitour - they’re probably Chinese but after lots of digging looked like the best bet if I kept my 14-inch Magnum wheels and they’re are super sticky - I can vouch for that and highly recommend them (I will be upgrading to bigger and wider wheels in a year or so but for now I’ve a look I like and high speed rating tires that offer plenty of grip). The car handles amazingly well now. The Borgeson steering box is just - wow - amazing feel. I’ve the sway-a-way torsion bars, BAC/SPC upper control arms, Hellwig sway bars, Bilstein shocks and other bits and bobs from BAC etc. If any of you are thinking about modifying the dynamics of your steering and suspension, it’s not cheap but boy oh boy, it’s night and day in difference, every corner I go round I try to swing out wider on entry, kicking into the apex tighter, just because the car glues to the road and the whole thing makes me smile from ear to ear. Thanks for all the help - I couldn’t have got the car so perfectly set-up without the advice from this group !

View attachment 1716115571

If you think it is good now, add some larger diameter wheels with some 200 tread wear tires. That car will do things it was never intended to do!

If you think it is good now, add some larger diameter wheels with some 200 tread wear tires. That car will do things it was never intended to do!
Wheels and tires are on the list. Next project is a 360 block I picked up off Facebook marketplace, going to rebuild and boost that, coupled to a Tremec 5-speed but need to find some money first !

I one-stop-shopped @BergmanAutoCraft for suspension, steering and brakes plus the complete welded-in USCarTools chassis stiffening kit. The only thing I can't buy is the driver, he is not up to the capability of the car at MoParty. With more autocross time that will change! Seriously Peter knows his stuff, answers the phone and has moved from vendor to friend. I can abuse my HemiDuster on an autocross track and it simply doesn't handle like a 52 year old car.

More importantly @BergmanAutoCraft can tailor kits to your needs. You don't have to go all out if you're looking to improve the way your car drives. I went Bansi while staying with Torsion bars and leaf springs. By the way, the quickest 'stock' Mopar in the Vintage class was a Demon with Torsion bars and leaf springs.

3S Duster1.jpg

3S Duster2.jpg

3S Duster3.jpg

Autocross Saturday Duster 1.jpg

Autocross Saturday Duster 2.jpg

Autocross Saturday Duster 3.jpg

Autocross Saturday Duster 4.jpg

I one-stop-shopped @BergmanAutoCraft for suspension, steering and brakes plus the complete welded-in USCarTools chassis stiffening kit. The only thing I can't buy is the driver, he is not up to the capability of the car at MoParty. With more autocross time that will change! Seriously Peter knows his stuff, answers the phone and has moved from vendor to friend. I can abuse my HemiDuster on an autocross track and it simply doesn't handle like a 52 year old car.

More importantly @BergmanAutoCraft can tailor kits to your needs. You don't have to go all out if you're looking to improve the way your car drives. I went Bansi while staying with Torsion bars and leaf springs. By the way, the quickest 'stock' Mopar in the Vintage class was a Demon with Torsion bars and leaf springs.

View attachment 1716146964

View attachment 1716146965

View attachment 1716146966

View attachment 1716146967

View attachment 1716146968

View attachment 1716146969

View attachment 1716146970

That's awesome!!!

Yeah the driver is a huge part that people forget about! Just because your car has all the fanciest, most expensive bits doesn't necessarily mean it will be fast! The driver, and fine tuning of the suspension makes a huge difference. But honestly with most of this stuff I think the most important part is just taking the car out and having fun!

@BergmanAutoCraft is a great resource for the community. Knows his stuff and sells some of the best parts out there to build a great handling Mopar at many different levels.

Here is a shot of good suspension geometry. Using our 2.0 SPC arms with taller ball joints and F spindles (taller) geometry changes for the better. For those concerned about F spindles, the SPC arms feature higher articulation ball joints than the typical K772. Combine with 7.5 degrees caster and only .5 deg neg camber, roll is reduced and the camber curve improves. The best result for those who say this is “racing stuff” is street drive ability. Tracking is improved greatly. No need to worry about ruts the road or constant steering correction.
Bergman Auto Craft has you covered.

E01F8562-CF23-40FA-AC3E-38C66D9330A6.jpeg

-
Back