Hotter heater possible?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to make my heater blow a bit hotter in my '70 Duster? I just replaced my T-stat with a 195* one and it didn't make a difference (probably because I noticed the T-stat I took out was also a 195* #-o). Will it ever be able to blow as hot as my family's '03 Town & Country, or will it always be a bit colder just by design?

Well, minus the leaks of the window and holes in the car....LOL

A hotter T-stat will do it. A clean and clear air path will help.
(A over the top move) A new core (EEEEEEEKKKK!) will have a clear/clear non clogged path inside.

HOWEVER! A hotter running engine may not be a happy one.

I had that problem with a 71 Dodge truck once, the heater core was dirty and clog, once I replaced it I had better heat!

I had the same problem with my Dakota. The problem was the heater core is stopped up with gunk from not flushing the coolant on a regular basis. What I did was back flushed the heater core. What you do is pour water into one heater hose and blow shop air through but opposite of normal flow. Make sure you place the other hose into a antifreeze jug to catch the gunk in the heater core. You may have to do this several times until the water is clean. One way to make sure you have a stoppage is to feel both heater hoses at the heater core under the hood. The temperature should be about the same. If not, now you know.

I thought the same as the rest of the guys. Clean the heater core inside and out and make sure your control cables are adjusted to their optimal position. A slower fan speed will make for hotter air without the volume.

Yeah, my car does have a million little holes and such where air can escape. I know how to fix that; but, even when my engine is fully warmed up and I put my hand over the vents, it's not that hot. I'll try the flushing thing though. Heater coil should be good, seeing that the overall condition of everything else in the car so far has been good enough to necessitate only a mild cleaning/fixing.

Drape the heater hoses over the right fender, garden hose sends water in one out the other until it runs clear. Guess what switch direction of the flow and it runs dirty again. Repeating will eventually get a clear streem both ways.
Other conditions like air flow blocked by mechanical door not opening properly or debrie clogged heater core may exist but the hot water flow is easiest place to start. Good luck

Some old cars just need part of the air to the radiator blocked off to make them run alittle hotter and make the heater hotter.We used to use a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and behind the grill in the winter and take it back out when it warmed up.And make sure your control cable is moving the heater control all the way over.

One of my old dodges had the cable broken and I would pull the control on in winter and shut it back off when it warmed up.Like any 19 yearold would do back in the 70's ,budget fixes

Make sure your heater hoses are hooked up to the factory specified heater hose nipples. It made quite a difference on 2 different cars of mine.

-
Back