How big of a job is it to change leaf springs??

-

70Swinger

Reaction score
How big of a job is it to change the leaf springs on a 1970 Dart Swinger?
the leaf spring on the driver side 2 of the layers are broken. So my car sits kind of lop sided. So if any one could help that would be great. :D

It's not hard, but to make things easy, buy new rear shaklesw/bushings, and new U bolts at the same time. Then you can just cut the old ones off(u bolts), unbolt the front hanger bolts, onbolt the rear shakles, and heat the studs with a propane torch..They will slide right out. with minimum fuss. It's hard if you dont have shop air, to remove them by unbolting and reusing everything. Much easier to cut them off.

It's about an hour job if nothing is stuck and you got air. I had to cut my front spring bolts of with a sawsall because the bolts were fused to the rubber bushing. Do one side at a time and get new parts (there cheep) it goes quick.....

Yup nto a bad job. But like they said above, get new ubolts and shackles. It will save you time. If you buy the new springs from Mancini Racing they will give you your choice of U-bolt or Shacles free with the springs.

i would also recommend getting new front spring hangers in addition to the rear shackles. often they get pretty funky and worn out. check and make sure your bolts for the front hangers come out with out breaking before you order. do this because you will need to re-use these with the new front hangers. there are (4) nuts and studs for each side front hanger that you will need to reuse or buy new ones.

I just did mine not long ago.

New U bolts, springs, KYB shocks and Ployurethane bushings from Firm Feel.

Took me a few hours, but I didn't have an air compressor (that has since been fixed).

-
Back