How can I tell if I have a regular Dart or GT?

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I bought a package deal yesterday and one of the cars is a 1965 Dart Convertible. It is completely stripped down of all trim, but has all the trim and more. It does have holes down the top of the front fenders and doors and the 3 vents on the fender and front of the doors. I also got a 65 Dart GT hardtop and it has the same moldings and vents on the fenders/doors and has the GT emblems on the sail panels. Where would the GT emblems be on a convertible?

Probably, but I just got up and the car is down at the shop. I will get the numbers and run them later today. Long day yesterday and didn't get back until after midnight.

It also has holes in the trunk lid, between the taillight where a trim panel goes. I'm pretty sure it is a GT, just don't have much experience with Darts.

Gt's and 270's have chrome down the front fender tops. The 170's had a narrow strip down the side and the 270's had a wide strip with the chrome on the front fender tops. If your car has been stripped just look at the molding clip holes and find which model you have. The 170 model wasn't available in convertible so if your vert doesn't have molding holes down the side it's a GT. If it does it's a 270 Vert. What's the first 4 of the VIN#? tmm

VIN#

(#1) 2=slant 6
L=V8

( #2 ) 1=170 model
3=270 model
4=GT model
(#3) 5=1965

Checked it. L4525
I picked up 3 65 V-8 cars and 1 /6 car yesterday. Overall great buy.
A Dart GT convertible, a Dart GT Hardtop(parts car), a Valiant Signet Convertible V-8 car and a Valiant 200 Convertible /6 car.

Sounds like you will be busy for many years. I hope you have a lot of storage room and parking. A disassembled car takes up ~3x the volume. After starting on 2 early A's, my suggestion is to strip everything first and de-rust and paint. Otherwise, you will work around parts you end up taking off later. Thoroughly treat all crevices or the rust gods will ruin anything you do. At least you didn't buy a Rustang or early Japanese rust bucket. Restoring these cars is a nasty disease, which my wife despises. Perhaps if I wasted money on sports tickets and hung out in bars she would be happy.

Checked it. L4525
I picked up 3 65 V-8 cars and 1 /6 car yesterday. Overall great buy.
A Dart GT convertible, a Dart GT Hardtop(parts car), a Valiant Signet Convertible V-8 car and a Valiant 200 Convertible /6 car.

L452 is of course a v8-Dart GT- 1965-built in Hamtramck Mi..The last 5 is the first digit of the sequence number. Sounds like you bought a fleet! LOL

The Dart has all the chrome and trim off of it. The interior is stripped and everything is boxed. I'm kinda glad someone already did that, that way I don't feel bad taking it apart and letting it sit. Now I can do the bodywork and paint and start going back together with it. I have a few other projects that I want to do, just can't bring myself to tear apart a complete car. I see too many projects started then abandoned and go to the scrap yard. I don't want to be one of those guys that ruins a good project.

Sounds like you will be busy for many years. I hope you have a lot of storage room and parking. A disassembled car takes up ~3x the volume. After starting on 2 early A's, my suggestion is to strip everything first and de-rust and paint. Otherwise, you will work around parts you end up taking off later. Thoroughly treat all crevices or the rust gods will ruin anything you do. At least you didn't buy a Rustang or early Japanese rust bucket. Restoring these cars is a nasty disease, which my wife despises. Perhaps if I wasted money on sports tickets and hung out in bars she would be happy.

It will have GT emblems on it.

It will have GT emblems on it.

Where? I have never seen them, other than on the top of the fender spears. Anywhere else, on a convertible? I know they had emblems on the sail panels of a hardtop car. The car is completely stripped of all chrome and emblems.

Do your front fenders have molding clip holes starting about headlight level through the fender to the door and then continuing down the side of the car? Model 270 Converts had those molding holes and GT's did not. I will post a pic of a 270 showing you the body side moldings. Imagine what the bare sheet metal would look like with the clip holes if the moldings weren't on the car. The GT's did not have these moldings. tmm

Attachments

• 010a.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 161
Here's a GT convert. All chrome trim was attached with clips through holes in the sheet metal. If you have holes where you see trim in this photo, you have a GT.

Attachments

• 2 new wheels.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 137
No. It has the molding that run along the tops of the fender, close to the top of the doors. Also has the 3 vents along the lower fender and doors.

Here's a GT convert. All chrome trim was attached with clips through holes in the sheet metal. If you have holes where you see trim in this photo, you have a GT.

Just like the Maroon Convertible. It decodes as a GT.
Thanks, Toolmanmike and all the others.

More 65 Verts that are members here at FABO:

Attachments

• Bild 261.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 136
  • raggie at tower by tree BEST BEST.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Tradera 067.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Yellow_dart.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 158
It started raining yesterday, before I got it off of the trailer, so I tarped it. I will try to get some pictures today, after I get the motor, trans, disc brake setup and all the other stuff unloaded out of the truck. I also ran the numbers on the 65 Valiant convertible. It is a Signet, 273 car. I also noticed the 65 Dart convertible has factory A/C.

It started raining yesterday, before I got it off of the trailer, so I tarped it. I will try to get some pictures today, after I get the motor, trans, disc brake setup and all the other stuff unloaded out of the truck. I also ran the numbers on the 65 Valiant convertible. It is a Signet, 273 car. I also noticed the 65 Dart convertible has factory A/C.

Score !!!!!!

how bout the GT chrome around the well wheels, isn't that GT only trim???
and hey BillGrissom, maybe you are married to my X !!????? LOL that is another whole story! LOL

-
Back