How Did Front Wheel Bearings Rust?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The '65 Formula S has been going through a three year restoration (sandblast, rotisserie, paint). This week when I went to replace the drum brake wheel cylinders I found the passenger side spindle bearings looked OK after washing them down in gasoline (photo #3), but the driver's side look like they became rusty somehow (photos #1 & #2). Granted, the "chrome" dust caps (as you well know) in the parts stores don't fit well, even after having warped them a little bit out of round so they don't fly off. But still, with all of that sticky red grease covering everything, I just don't understand it.

The race on the driver's side is beat up a little in one area which covers less that 25% of the circumference (see photo #4). The race on the passenger side only has a little dark "birthmark" looking thing in one spot (no photo).

spindle bearing 4.JPG

spindle bearing 3.JPG

spindle bearing 6.JPG

spindle bearing 5.JPG

Humidity?
Hygroscopic grease?
Poorly applied grease?
Lack of grease?
Lack of use... to heat things up and boil off any moisture?

GASOLINE to clean parts?????
:realcrazy:

Many other solvents out there. Even diesel would be safer.

Guy here in CO blew up his garage from gasoline

Simple. Either got water in them or not enough grease, or combination. How old, again, are these old girls?

The grease was applied the same to both sides, very generous I might add.

The brakes were renewed about ten years ago, one long road trip after that, then pretty much parked except for a few local events, then finally restored/stored the past 3 years.

One difference I noticed between the two sides was that on the driver's side, one of the two rubber plugs on the lower part of the backing plate was missing.

If one side of the car is always in shade and the other the sun that would explain a difference.

The plug is insignificant, the drums are not sealed to the backing plate

did it sit outside or in water? I have noticed even inside if it isn't a heated garage there is condensation issues I deal with at change of seasons.

I suspect the aftermarket chrome grease caps didn't seal well and allowed moisture inside. Get some factory caps and use plenty of grease inside the cap. Toss those bearings and get new ones.

-
Back