How did nitrous get such a bad rep...?

-
It’s ring gaps, piston to wall clearance, bearing clearance, compression ratio, and then being able to get the tune right. I wish you all the luck.

I have to agree, It gets the bad rap because people don't know what they're talking about and blow cars up...

Last edited:
It’s ring gaps, piston to wall clearance, bearing clearance, compression ratio, and then being able to get the tune right. I wish you all the luck.
I appreciate your luck wish but I was trying to go more so on skill.. I do realize this was not a built for nitrous motor..
I sure wish you would give a breakdown a nitrous motor you've built or at least one you've been part of and how much nitrous it took? Also a non nitrous motor and how far you got away with nitrous?..
You sound very knowledgeable on the subject so this is a great place to share it...

I gave you 3 examples of engines I have personally had nitrous on. And I’ll give you one more. I had an 83 mustang with a turbo setup on a 347 and I used a 50 shot to spool a big turbo. Not everything I know I learned on the internet.

A lot of this is messing around but if you look in to it a little more, really I’ve been trying to help you not grenade your junk.

A lot of this is messing around but if you look in to it a little more, really I’ve been trying to help you not grenade your junk.
I can tell you there's no way that I'm going to go out day one and fire off a 200 shot LOL.. more like a 100 shot with 110 Sunoco and about six degrees a retard..
And a square jetting..

Go big or stay home.
^^^ you disagreed with me, but according to the guru you pointed out it makes the motor more efficient and the motor makes the horsepower...
Also there's three fingers pointing back at you mr. Go big or go home.. LOL...

^^^^ so scared to try it the bottles and went out of date...lol...:D...

Trust me if I could complete NA in the heads up class I would. Money dictates that and I don’t have enough of it. The heads probably cost more than I have in my whole engine

Ring gap is important. The alleged HP lost on wider gaps is mostly nonsense. Most of our builds are inefficient to the point that the gaps don't matter at all. An extra few thou, .006ish, on a 4.030 bore isn't a big deal.

KB Hyper pistons are really sensitive here to ring gaps on juice.

Ring gap is important. The alleged HP lost on wider gaps is mostly nonsense. Most of our builds are inefficient to the point that the gaps don't matter at all. An extra few thou, .006ish, on a 4.030 bore isn't a big deal.

KB Hyper pistons are really sensitive here to ring gaps on juice.

Just for the heck of it if I ever tear my 422 down I want to try to check a couple of rings to see what my ring gaps are after 4 years of bracket racing and running alcohol. The best pass ever was a 5.98 in 2018. My last pass in in 2019 was 6.04 so after four years the car never lost anything. The ring gap had to open up during that time. Just curious to see how much.

Just for the heck of it if I ever tear my 422 down I want to try to check a couple of rings to see what my ring gaps are after 4 years of bracket racing and running alcohol. The best pass ever was a 5.98 in 2018. My last pass in in 2019 was 6.04 so after four years the car never lost anything. The ring gap had to open up during that time. Just curious to see how much.
When I talked to the machine shop that built my engine about nitrous one of the first questions was how many miles are on the engine??.. I don't have a clue...
Besides the actual break in.. I went mostly drag racing for the first three years.. then mostly cruising and some drag racing in the last couple of years...
The most important part was my plan didn't raise any red flags...
When I talked to my cam grinder (Ken at Oregon cam grinding) he said my current cam wouldn't take advantage of the nitrous as good as it could.. but still no red flags he seen in my plan..
Both said it sounds like fun...

On our 410 Windsor ford, we leaked the engine down before and after the Baja 1000. Before was ~3%. After 47 hours and 53 minutes running damn near full throttle and on the limiter a bunch, and after eating a distributor gear at mile 1107 we saw ~4% leak down. No appreciable difference. I’m not sure if our crew chief measured the ring gap or not upon tear down, I definitely didn’t. But I’ll ask if he did.

Last edited:
I would think especially in my case of running alcohol that there would have to be ring wear. And my engine ran more or less the same as it did on day one.

I have never run alcohol, but I know it doesn’t play nice with cylinder oiling. I’m am currently trying e85 for the first time and have the same concerns.

Not sure what happened there. Yes I run upper end lube but you know how that goes. Moisture is my biggest enemy. I have a good handle on keeping my oil clean by using engine heat in my favor but I know the cylinder walls and rings have to see more wear. But evidently with almost zero performance loss. Oh and that 5.98 was the last run of the year (2018) with my 80 pound lighter son driving.

Not sure what happened there. Yes I run upper end lube but you know how that goes. Moisture is my biggest enemy. I have a good handle on keeping my oil clean by using engine heat in my favor but I know the cylinder walls and rings have to see more wear. But evidently with almost zero performance loss. Oh and that 5.98 was the last run of the year (2018) with my 80 pound lighter son driving.
At least we know where you can lose another tenth of a second..:rofl:..:thumbsup:
lol...

I just set the gaps on the engine for the drag week pinto I’m helping on. I set the top at 028 and the second at 030. This is on a big boost 4 cylinder deal with 4 digit hp goals. The owner couldn’t believe it. This on a small 3.425 bore.

Well number one my class only runs 1/8 mile. Number two don’t ask me why but probably because I have my car set up to 60 foot well our Et’s Are usually only .02 or less difference. Our delay box settings are even the same and he’s 31 and I’m 64.

-
Back