How did nitrous get such a bad rep...?

-
For me personally my motor has proved it can do mid to low 11s.. now back into Street trim, cam, and wheels it will be nice to see 11s again comfortably instead of in a plastic race seat..

For me personally my motor has proved it can do mid to low 11s.. now back into Street trim, cam, and wheels it will be nice to see 11s again comfortably instead of in a plastic race seat..

Don’t take this personal but if I had to run 11’s I would probably give up racing and get my fishing boat running. I haven’t ran 11’s for 40 years.

Don’t take this personal but if I had to run 11’s I would probably give up racing and get my fishing boat running. I haven’t ran 11’s for 40 years.
No offense at all! If I wanted to go quicker I would... Anybody who knows me knows this is my second love.. well third actually my wife comes first, but snowmobiling is my thing... Just like I've seen a half a dozen pictures of your car I'm sure I've shown this picture I half a dozen times on this forum...
IMG_00501-2.jpg

I don't take the heat like I did when I was younger and do not like hanging out at the track all day on hot days... That's why I've taken to go to the test and tune in the evenings on Friday and Saturdays... Now the car is capable of driving down there with my wife and taking some passes and stopping for some dinner on the way home..

I think I've already said it but it's funny how everybody talks about how easy nitrous is and how many people are running it but there's no part of this forum for talking about nitrous...
I think the forced induction should be forced induction and nitrous... A place to share knowledge and ideas...

I think I've already said it but it's funny how everybody talks about how easy nitrous is and how many people are running it but there's no part of this forum for talking about nitrous...
I think the forced induction should be forced induction and nitrous... A place to share knowledge and ideas...

There’s a pinned post in the race section of Moparts that deals with all power adders. Honestly it’s pretty slow since Monte passed away years ago. Before I bought my nitrous setup I talked to him and desired to go with Induction Solutions. He wanted to dictate how I built my engine and I’m not playing that game. Wise decision especially after he passed away.

Screenshot_20200406-222758.png

LOL...
Some good stuff...
Nitrous drastically increases the efficiency of the motor, by creating a quicker and cleaner burn. The quicker and cleaner the burn, the less spark lead the motor needs. No different than a motor with poor heads needing 40* of timing to run hard and when you put a better head on it, then it only needs 32* to run hard. You have made the motor more efficient. Timing does NOT make power. Timing is only when you light the fire in the hole in an attempt to have a complete burn by about 15* ATDC. When you think about it, advanced timing is fighting what you are trying to do. The sooner you light it, the more the motor has to overcome in the increasing cylinder pressure of lighting the fire early. In a perfect world, the closer to TDC you could light the fire and burn it completely by 15 after, the more power you could make by freeing the motor up. Unfortunately engines are just not THAT efficient yet. I don't put timing in until it slows down and run the max I can. I pull timing OUT until it slows down. If it runs the same at 36* as it does at 40*, the latter is doing you no good and only increases your chances of pre-ignition

Im not gonna read this all right now but the reason people hate on it is two fold.

One, they blow up if not done right.
Two, they blow up if not done right.

Why roots are cool.
They make boost right now.

Why turbos are cool.
They make good boost and are easy to cool.

Why N20 is cool.
It is COLD.
it can make as much power as you want. (As can the rest.)

Why its not.

You have to fill it up.

The main reason is it was sneaky. Folks didn't like that you could have a closed hood and have power in the trunk.
It was cheating back in the day.

For me it was the genesis of my favorite saying

"Pick your parts, pay your money!"

Cheating ha... you build it your way, i'll do mine my way. A lot of the people that said it was cheating came around. :lol:

View attachment 1715502513
LOL...
Some good stuff...
Nitrous drastically increases the efficiency of the motor, by creating a quicker and cleaner burn. The quicker and cleaner the burn, the less spark lead the motor needs. No different than a motor with poor heads needing 40* of timing to run hard and when you put a better head on it, then it only needs 32* to run hard. You have made the motor more efficient. Timing does NOT make power. Timing is only when you light the fire in the hole in an attempt to have a complete burn by about 15* ATDC. When you think about it, advanced timing is fighting what you are trying to do. The sooner you light it, the more the motor has to overcome in the increasing cylinder pressure of lighting the fire early. In a perfect world, the closer to TDC you could light the fire and burn it completely by 15 after, the more power you could make by freeing the motor up. Unfortunately engines are just not THAT efficient yet. I don't put timing in until it slows down and run the max I can. I pull timing OUT until it slows down. If it runs the same at 36* as it does at 40*, the latter is doing you no good and only increases your chances of pre-ignition

thats THE one, you just got to understand it.:thumbsup:

When I built my current 440, I made the conscious decision to gap my rings for no power adder. My machinist told me to gap them for nitrous anyway because after I went fast, I would want to go faster. I didn’t and regret it. I think the stigma revolves solely on N/A guys getting bent when the bottle beats them, or cause they don’t have one. Or when they have boneyard blocks on the gas beat their 15k motor. I personally think it’s a wonderful tool. A roots blower or turbo can cause catastrophic engine failure as well if not done right. It seems to boil down to the opinions of those who don’t use it. Now, maybe I’m biased as I may have sucked down a balloon or two of medical/food grade after Dead shows long ago. And any welding shop will take the tanks in for inspection and recert. I think it’s 4 years for frozen liquid cylinders.

When I built my current 440, I made the conscious decision to gap my rings for no power adder. My machinist told me to gap them for nitrous anyway because after I went fast, I would want to go faster. I didn’t and regret it. I think the stigma revolves solely on N/A guys getting bent when the bottle beats them, or cause they don’t have one. Or when they have boneyard blocks on the gas beat their 15k motor. I personally think it’s a wonderful tool. A roots blower or turbo can cause catastrophic engine failure as well if not done right. It seems to boil down to the opinions of those who don’t use it. Now, maybe I’m biased as I may have sucked down a balloon or two of medical/food grade after Dead shows long ago. And any welding shop will take the tanks in for inspection and recert. I think it’s 4 years for frozen liquid cylinders.
My motor isn't gaped for nitrous, but I think anything under 200 should be fine if it's done right...
Oh ya.. wa wa wa... LOL...

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. For me it came down to pride and being able to go as fast as I can on a budget with zero or as close to zero tricks. Does it have its place? Yes it does.

:poke:
So much for this thread only being about the stigma.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. For me it came down to pride and being able to go as fast as I can on a budget with zero or as close to zero tricks. Does it have its place? Yes it does.
No offense but I take great pride in knowing I've learned something new and how to use it. My stuff is in plain sight and openly displayed so there's no trick...
LOL... "Budget".. is extremely relative...

I asked about your ring gaps, etc 4 pages ago and you made me go read 30 pages of nonsense. Now you’re talking about it here.

And no your engine won’t be ok with NA set ring gaps on a 200 shot.

That’s the reason nitrous has such a bad rap right there. Because people do exactly what you are doing. Putting a 200 shot on an engine not built for it. And it ends in parts on the track.

That’s the reason nitrous has such a bad rap right there. Because people do exactly what you are doing. Putting a 200 shot on an engine not built for it. And it ends in parts on the track.
So it's the ring gaps that dictate this? And I was just wondering not calling you out but what are you get this knowledge at?..

I asked about your ring gaps, etc 4 pages ago and you made me go read 30 pages of nonsense. Now you’re talking about it here.
And I tried to take it over to my personal nitrous thread but it seems like it has to be played out here. And I did answer the question and I did quote you or somebody and answered it...

No offense but I take great pride in knowing I've learned something new and how to use it. My stuff is in plain sight and openly displayed so there's no trick...
LOL... "Budget".. is extremely relative...

Ya but you didn’t make the horsepower. The magic bottle did. Pssss pssss. Junkyard engines on spray.

-
Back