How did you learn,to tame big cams on the street?....

-
Old Man Rick,

We just picked the Brains of the 'Timing Guru's or found out what the hottest
cars were doing, and then just copied them.

That was the M.O. back then..........

Find out - what cam, what compression, what timing........and then report back.

Yeh......'er believed way too much of the **** published in Hot Rod 'n others

If you ever come across the old articles of "Project Coupe" (32?) er whatever it was called, read up on how they thought you should shorten a driveshaft (in the middle of the tube!!!)

Popular_Hot_Rodding_Magazine-1973-June.jpg

No one said ,you have to have "technical experience" to be a writer ,Del. Understand your pain. Bought into it for years,no longer.

"back in the day" they would just put in higher static pistons and run available fuels. That's what I think it one of the biggest factors here - the available pump fuels are so drastically different. Another huge one is the enthusiasts themselves. I learned to drive on a400 4bbl Pontiac. Dad gave me a screwdriver and explained what "flooded" was and where to stick the screwdriver to hold the choke open and start it. Most guys that learned to drive in the 90s have no clue what non-automatic engine controls are, how they work, or how to adjust or modify them.
As for tricks - I believe ever situation is unique. What I would do for myself, or a guy in FL who drives the car year round will be different than what I'd do for a guy in Denver at altitude who drives only in the summer and only locally would need to do. So tricks include timing curves, carb work, and internal engine parts or work to make it all work on whatever is locally available.

Super Stock & Drag Illustrated {April 1972}

Ed Hamburger had some great 'tip-and tricks' in an article on Cam Timing in this Magazine.

mhb43YgrZlzee_U7U0rthpQ.jpg

See Tim, this is where those that have some better ideas of how to get stuff to work can run things that are way outside the realm of most when it comes to streetable combinations.

Like, putting a 292/508 cam in an 8:1 360 engine that most everyone says it won't work and having it run real strong.

Ignition timing adjustments is one of the best at calming the beast... :)

I had that same setup for years. It ran awesome on the street. Worked well with a 3000 stall converter & a good dual plane. Had a locked distributor with about 36-38 degrees of advance. Would surprise many who pulled up next to a bone stock looking volare "duster" edition w/ red checkered interior.

i got a comp cams 294s in my low compression 383. ran like a dog when i first got her fired up. with the help of crackedback and others i learned alot about timing. my engine likes about 20-22* initial and and 36* total. that with light springs has me all in by 2800ish rpm. i have 4500 rpm stall converter and 4.10 rear gears with a 28" tall tire. i love mine on the street! goes like hell and sound pretty mean in the process.

[ame]http://youtu.be/aLTuGFWyDuw[/ame]

http://youtu.be/ovfE81ZxH2k?t=2m41s

I run Rhoades lifters. They help tame down aggressive cams.

-
Back