How do get these (F)ing Rims off !!!!

-

AJ71DUSTER

Reaction score
Well I bought this rear end off a guy and it's been out side for who knows how long, I can not get the rims off the drums,I have soaked the around the gap next to the drums with PB blaster no luck, I had to torch the lugs off because even after the lugs were cherry red from heat I broke my 3/4 socket. the rims are old M/T aluminum I have use a sledge hammer so much that I bent the crap out of the rims with no luck, I used a saws all to cut the 5 spokes on the rims just to get more PB blaster in the gaps any help please!!!! I don't want to cut the axles just to get the carrier out. any suggestions ????

Thanks AJ71DUSTER

Sounds like you,ve tried it all,but try ropeing to a tree,tie rope to rim and the back of your car/truck and pull away slowly.Of course this is a last resort.:banghead:

I have been working on these rims or what is left of them for since friday night I'm lost !!! as how to get these apart.

Sounds like you,ve tried it all,but try ropeing to a tree,tie rope to rim and the back of your car/truck and pull away slowly.Of course this is a last resort.:banghead:

At this point I will try anything I have a big A$$ tree and a log chain.

Thanks pettybludart---- no suggestion rejected

I would say get the torch out and pop a rosebud tip on there. Keep heating up the hub area and eventually, something will give.

i had the same problem!!! with the tire and rim still stuck on the axles/drums i stuck the entire rear end between two trees and pulled like hell with the truck in 4 low...amazingly the axle stayed straight and literally sheared the lug studs right off(it was an old ford courier rear axle)

Could you have caused the lug nuts to to be coned at the top when you used the torch? If so they would be wider at the top than the hole is and impossible to slide over them.

Since you have cut the rim off the spokes couldnt you drive a flat chisel between the spokes and drum?

An air chisel might do the trick. Or even better a jack hammer. Either way film this so we all can see the carnage! :D I have had a similar thing happen taking off aluminum wheels from an old ramcharger, ended up that some of the lug nut was left there and wasnt allowing the wheel to come off. You might need to burn the entire stud out of the axel to get the wheel off.

Thanks for all the replies, I ran out of time yesterday, and I just got home from taking care of my grand kids, so I will let all of you know the out come hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks again AJ71DUSTER

Well the Rims or thats what I will call them are OFF after taken an air chisel to each lug nut hole and cleaning out the slag and it setting for 48hrs in PB Blaster then beating the hell out of it will an 8# mal they finally came off in pieces.

Thanks for reading and the replies.

We aren't laughing at you, because we've all been there before. I fought two upper control arm bolts for two week ends!! Spray em with PB Blaster, pound em back and forth a while, drink a beer, repeat... We would like to see what you're working with/on?!?

It's all cool guys I never take to much of life to serious.it's ALL GOOD. let me get you some pic's

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 409
  • 002.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 395
  • 003.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 393
  • 004.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 393
  • 005.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 371
-