How do I clean this gunk!

-

Andre68

Reaction score
So I pulled the motor and tranny out from the car, and this stuff is just covered in gunk! How do I clean this stuff off? Thanks I plan on reprinting the tranny and motor so I wanna be able to take this stuff off and make it nice and clean

Castrol Super Clean and pressure washer (or a garden hose with a jet stream attachment). Make sure you have a protected area to blast in (it gets real messy). Make sure you thoroughly cover or remove and cover your carb, distributor, etc. areas. Pretty much anywhere where water can get in.

If it's abnormally caked on, you just might have to use some ol' fashion elbow grease to remove the mass first.

261-376-large.jpg

This stuff is incredible. My buddy turned me onto it when we did the engine in my car. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute or two and blast it off w/ a pressure washer. It does wonders.

Wire brush, gasket scraper, screwdriver, elbow grease. Pressure washer. Repeat until clean.

use a scraper to get the caked on stuff off. soak it down with degreaser and let it sit for awhile. cover all the necessary parts you don't want water in. use the pressure washer. let it dry. then go to O'reillys auto parts if you have one and get the O'reillys brand cans of brake clean and finish it. that stuff will take the paint off of an engine by just squirting it out of the can. best stuff I have ever used.

Piece by piece in your dishwasher. That is what I do. You may have to have your wife run the really thick parts through a couple of time's.

In the good ol days we would take them to the car wash. Their high pressure sprayer would get'er done. According to EPA we aren't supposed to do this at home if the run off can go to ground water, and better not get caught at the car wash.
I use a screw driver and compressed air to break up and remove the majority, then oven cleaner, then high pressure rinse, then brake parts aerosol, then paint.

Do you have a girlfriend? Wife? Ask them to clean it up for you....

If you have one (or more) of each, have a contest to see which one can clean it better. Then spend more time with that one....

Do you have a girlfriend? Wife? Ask them to clean it up for you....

If you have one (or more) of each, have a contest to see which one can clean it better. Then spend more time with that one....

:D I think you are on to something there :toothy10:

In the good ol days we would take them to the car wash. Their high pressure sprayer would get'er done. According to EPA we aren't supposed to do this at home if the run off can go to ground water, and better not get caught at the car wash.
I use a screw driver and compressed air to break up and remove the majority, then oven cleaner, then high pressure rinse, then brake parts aerosol, then paint.

I still use this method. They have grease traps to collect the gunk. They also still have an engine degreaser setting that actually works. You coat the parts and let them soak then hit them with the high pressure wash. Just watch out for back spray. Can make you not only wet but nasty with the gunk as well.

I just got done cleaning up my manual steering box. I used the purple clean and a plastic scraper but it didn't get all of the 45 yr old gunk. Bought a can of Berrymans chemdip as that stuff used to do a fine job. Put the steering box in a plastic pan and puored the stuff on, brushing every now and then to get fresh stuff on. After a few days it had all the gunk off. Now I have to figure out how to change the lube and what kind to use.

The stuff doesn't stink near as bad as it used to, so I figured it was watered down. Had the open pan sitting in my shop on the floor soaking the box while I painted my new Mopar RB block with engineenamel (Chrystler hemi orange of course). Painted the block at noon Sat and left it sitting outside the shop door in the sun for a few hours. Returned to a nice flowed out paint job that was tacking up nicely. Tucked it inside the shop for the night (pan of now well used Berryman on the floor). Next morning the paint is starting to have a krinkle finish. Left it in the shop to further cure and the shop gets kinda hot from the sun. By that evening the paint has softened and was running in little waves. I think outgassing from the non-stinky Berryman was the culprit. We'll see if letting the block sit in an open but covered shed getting heat and sun in the afternoon will cure the paint.

Just something to consider as I have never had that happen before, but I never had a pan of non-stink Berryman sitting open around fresh enamel before either. Whoulda thunk?

The local coin car washes have small water treatment tanks that separate oil from the water. There are signs that allow for engine degreasing. I have used them to degrease engines and transmissions.

261-376-large.jpg

This stuff is incredible. My buddy turned me onto it when we did the engine in my car. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute or two and blast it off w/ a pressure washer. It does wonders.

I like the spray version but you absolutely must rinse everything very thouroghly. I ran 5 gallons of it in my parts washer and it left a horrible residue on the tank that would flake off and get all over everything. But it does work well.

Wire brush or a wire wheel on a drill...just be careful. It took me a few days to clean up my motor and trans.

-
Back