How do I find members in my local area (FL Panhandle)?

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1971 318 that I’m ready to have rebuilt. I’d be perfectly happy with an engine that performed like it did when I drove it off the car lot in 1971. I don’t know how to find a reputable shop to do the rebuild in my area and thought it would be good if I could find a way to reach out to other Mopar people in my local area (I live mid-way between Pensacola and Panama City FL)

For what it’s worth - the engine was rebuilt in Panama City, FL 30 years and 60,000 miles ago and it still runs great. I’m tired of the oil drips and figure there’s no reason to spend the money to replace gaskets and not go ahead with a rebuild.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

If it only has 60,000 miles on it and runs great there is no way I would rebuild the motor. A good quality felpro gasket set is all you need, some elbow grease, 5 or 6 hours to change gaskets and couple cans of paint. $250-300

why spend 4-6 grand rebuilding a basic 318 motor that doesn’t need it?

neat that you are the original owner!

mims FL image.jpg

I have a 1971 318 that I’m ready to have rebuilt. I’d be perfectly happy with an engine that performed like it did when I drove it off the car lot in 1971. I don’t know how to find a reputable shop to do the rebuild in my area and thought it would be good if I could find a way to reach out to other Mopar people in my local area (I live mid-way between Pensacola and Panama City FL)

For what it’s worth - the engine was rebuilt in Panama City, FL 30 years and 60,000 miles ago and it still runs great. I’m tired of the oil drips and figure there’s no reason to spend the money to replace gaskets and not go ahead with a rebuild.

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the "Forums" page until you get to the "Regional Boards" section- the South East section is devoted to members in your area.

Common oil leaks 318:

Valve Cover Gaskets

I seal the new Cork gaskets with thin coat of RTV black silicone gasket maker all sides and surfaces. Pre clean metal surfaces with Brake Parts Cleaner to remove any oil film.

Install valve covers and let cure over night. No Leaks, running down everywhere.

Oil sending unit back by distributor at the top of bell housing, can easily leak.

Replace with new, then
No Leaks.

Fuel pump gasket can leak, replace with new gasket if leaking.

Snug up your oil pan mounting bolts, they loosen up from expansion and contraction of engine heat cycles.

Front Harmonic Balancer seal. Replace as needed.

All this can be done with the engine in the car.

20180205_220055.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Now wait a minute here… you’re going to tease us with 1971 Twister you drove off the car lot in 1971 and not share some pictures and tell us how the car is optioned? We like pictures!

IMG_3854.jpeg

The car is currently getting a fresh paint job. I took this picture approximately 3 years ago. I seem to have misplaced my 2012 photos when the car had a great new paint job. (At least the paint job looked good for a few years. Turned out that there were some issues at the primer level which you can see on the hood).

Ken71twister,

I have a house in Crestview, there is a Mopar mechanic on old bethel rd. His name is Kevin. Turn off Hwy 90 onto old bethel his house is behind the gas station and AAA fence. He races a big block duster and has several mopars. He has a garage back there but I don’t remember his business name. I circled his house/garage.

IMG_3209.jpeg

Ken71twister,

I have a house in Crestview, there is a Mopar mechanic on old bethel rd. His name is Kevin. Turn off Hwy 90 onto old bethel his house is behind the gas station and AAA fence. He races a big block duster and has several mopars. He has a garage back there but I don’t remember his business name. I circled his house/garage.

View attachment 1716196163
Thanks! I’ll try to contact him.

View attachment 1716196004
The car is currently getting a fresh paint job. I took this picture approximately 3 years ago. I seem to have misplaced my 2012 photos when the car had a great new paint job. (At least the paint job looked good for a few years. Turned out that there were some issues at the primer level which you can see on the hood).
I failed to mention options….Other than the Twister appearance package - there were no options…. No AC. No power steering… no disc brakes….. 3 speed manual on the floor. If I had it to do over again….I’d sure spend a few bucks extra for power steering..

See if Bryan's Mobile Auto Repair is still around, 9502 Sweetgum Lane Navarre, FL 32566. They were dyed in the wool Mopar people years back. If you need phone numbers, PM me and I'll get them for you.

Ken71twister,

View attachment 1716196163
I’ve not been able to get Kevin Wilkinson Automotive phone number. Do you know if he’s still in business?

I’ve not been able to get Kevin Wilkinson Automotive phone number. Do you know if he’s still in business?
I’ve moved to GA about 5yrs ago when I retire out the army, haven’t been back down there in awhile to check on the property. Lost touch. He was fairly active back then I drove by his place daily as my house is down the road from his. Always had hot rods he was working on.

Kevin Wilkinson, (850) 682-4669, Crestview search engine is your friend. I looked it up in a matter of seconds.​

Unfortunately it seems like he’s no longer in business. The phone number didn’t work and I then called a local shop (Crestview Machine) where they knew Kevin - they had the same number - but someone there said he’d had some health problems and his shop was not open. If nothing else - maybe I’ll drive by sometime to see if he’s around.

-
Back