How do I fix an UCA bushing mount thats out of round

-

e50095

Reaction score
Need some help guys. I cleaned up my control arms and started to press in new bushings and ball joints. One of the rings where the bushing goes through is way out of whack and askew. If I put the bushing in, its not straight and pointing toward the other bushing. I assume it won't mount to the car that way. Is there a home grown fix to this. I went through my sockets thinking if I had an impact the right size I could press it in the mount and straighten out the ring...but I didn't have the right size. Should the bushings be symmetrical in that they should be pointing straight at each other. If so, I suppose I can use a piece of allthread to see if it'll run through both bushings after I get it straightened out. Any ideas would be appreciated....it seems the arm itself is not bent, just the bushing mount ring.

thanks....

Ken in PA.

The bushings MUST be as close to straight in line as possible (slight variances are ok, but not ideal). It means that the car was most likely in an accident or hit a curb very hard at least once in its life. The best fix is to replace the arm, but you might have luck straightening it. Also, make sure that the mounting brackets are still in a line. I once had to cut the welds on an early-A upper arm mount to put it back where it was supposed to be.

Careful, LOL, You be loo'in li' a' dis..................

alto2.jpg

-
Back