How do I get power to the turn signal switch?

-

FeatherDuster

I'm getting 25 mpg!
Reaction score
I have a 1976 Duster, which I picked up for a song a few months back. As it happened, i was able to pick it up for a song because the car's underdash wiring was all melted and screwed up. It was also stolen, but that wasn't an issue.
Basically, the wiring in the ignition switch got screwed up, so the previous owner tried to redneck something using a toggle switch and a starter button.
That system worked great until something went wrong. Maybe it was the fact that he used duct tape as electrical tape, or maybe it was the fact that there were a lot of loose wires hanging down under the dash. Either way, the wires down there are toasted.
I bought it, put some love into it, and now have the exact same setup again. I'm putting in a switch panel soon, with real relays and everything, as soon as I have the time to mosey down to NAPA and buy the switches. :toothy5:
Anyway, my problem is this: The turn signals don't work. The hazard works, but I can't figure out which wire to energize so that the turn signals will work. The hazards work, but only the right dash indicator works, and it blinks twice as fast as it should.
I read on here that some a-bodies have two flasher units: one for the hazards, and another for the turn signals. I was only able to locate one: A blue plastic unit hiding by the fuse panel. (The fuse panel is also slightly melted, btw. I'm using fused jumpers for now, so I should be okay.) Should this car have another flasher unit?
I have wiring diagrams for this car, so you don't need to give it to me on the most basic level. I'm pretty good with wiring, but this is kicking my ***.
Thanks for your help, guys!

the signal flasher is or should be on the right side of the ash tray hanger.

If you have the diagram, you should be able to check right at the original colors going up to the column switch. (I didn't look it up) but you should be able to feed 12V in that line and determine if the switch is feeding out to the various lights correctly

Don't discount that the switch could be bad, or "the other guy" could have screwd up connections to the switch

-
Back