how do I identify correct A body gas tank?

-

50coupe

Reaction score
Is there a part/engineering number stamped or paint color swipe somewhere on the tank? Any other ways to identify? This is for a '69 Cuda fastback. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Victor

I don't know if I can help but I'll try . Two types of tanks : one has a single gas tank strap and the other has 2 straps . I don't think they are interchangeable . The tanks with 2 straps come in 2 sizes , 13 gallon and 16 gallon , I THINK . IN years gone by as now the capacity was determined by the average distance a tank would carry the car driving at a normal (ha) rate of speed . Usually 300-350 miles . There may be some fitment issues between cars with wheel bases of 108 vs. 111". Hope this helps

All A-Body's 68-70 are the same. If you buy a new Spectra tank it is CR11C. The 68-70 tanks all have one vent tube, and like said above, have dual front to rear straps 67 only has a single strap side to side. Later tanks have more than one vent tube.

Last edited:
Is there a part/engineering number stamped or paint color swipe somewhere on the tank? Any other ways to identify? This is for a '69 Cuda fastback. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Victor
Why do you ask? It will help us answer.

Can you give us a little more info? Do you have the filler neck? Do you just need a gas tank? Are you wanting to keep it factory correct?

Can you give us a little more info? Do you have the filler neck? Do you just need a gas tank? Are you wanting to keep it factory correct?

Thanks, all. I'm trying to put a basket case back together. The old rusty tank I have for mock up is an unknown piece(2 strap) that mounts correctly in the car. One fit up problem is the new trunk floor does not have the filler tube hole quite in the right place. Plus having a new quarter panel and a known correct filler tube, my main concern is identifying what tank I have before we start modifying things to fit. Mostly to affirm filler tube inlet position. Victor

-
Back