How do I power my oldies?

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
I have an old AM/FM-cassette player (car) that still works. I also still have several cassettes of my favorite tunes, 60's. What can I use as a 12VDC power source . Battery trickle charger, charger for 12volt drill, or?

Anything with a 12 volt output and at least 3 amps will work.
Of course a 12 volt battery is easiest.
You could even get two of those big square 6 volt batteries like they use in large flashlights.

NO you can not use a battery charger. There are almost no battery charges that have a filtered output, and the vast majority are not regulated.

I assume you want to use this in the shop?

Ways to go:

Find a 12V battery like a gel cell that you can use

Go downtown like to Radio Shack and buy a 12V power supply. You need to have some idea of the amperage draw of the accessory. Either find it on the label, or measure draw while operating with a multimeter.

You want a DC 12v (13.8V) filtered, regulated power supply. Radio Shack, others, sell them to operate CB radios, etc.

like this

$%28KGrHqF,!pEE8WR%29eYBwBPJwRRi+C!~~60_35.JPG

no you can not use a battery charger. There are almost no battery charges that have a filtered output, and the vast majority are not regulated.

I assume you want to use this in the shop?

Ways to go:

Find a 12v battery like a gel cell that you can use

go downtown like to radio shack and buy a 12v power supply. You need to have some idea of the amperage draw of the accessory. Either find it on the label, or measure draw while operating with a multimeter.

You want a dc 12v (13.8v) filtered, regulated power supply. Radio shack, others, sell them to operate cb radios, etc.

Like this

$%28kgrhqf,!pee8wr%29eybwbpjwrri+c!~~60_35.jpg

x2

But you may find it cheaper to buy a cacassette radio

Exactly
There isn't a chance in hell I would go buy a 50+ dollar power supply to run an old cassete player.

I would however convert the music to disc. :D

Exactly
There isn't a chance in hell I would go buy a 50+ dollar power supply to run an old cassete player.

I would however convert the music to disc. :D

Butyahbut...........LOL.........Doncha havta be able to play them to convert them?

if you just want to convert them to MP3 or burn them onto a CD, borrow a cassette player for a home stereo from someone (or find one on CL or goodwill) and hook it up to your PC that way to burn it. You might be able to find a 12 v supply but it may be cheaper to get a cassette player for home stereo. You can also probably get a cheap old style boom-box with a cassette player in it if you just want to listen to them.

I went to Goodwill. Picked up,a 16 dollar Phillips boom box. Have my AM/FM,CD player/ and cassette player. Check it out.

power supply from and old pc. its yellow wires are 12 volt.

If you have a model railroad transformer (rectifier) for HO trains, most will have a 12VDC post that is not connected to the pot. Works great.

Butyahbut...........LOL.........Doncha havta be able to play them to convert them?

Yes , but I would find a WAY cheaper way to power it. :D
You have all your electrical background that we hate you for :D so of course you will tell someone how to do it correctly, and I totally agree that it is the correct way.
I just wouldn't do it that way to run a 5 dollar (real world worth) casette player.
I would grab a 12 volt 3 amp power supply from an external hard drive that died and use that. (or anything else laying around that was close in amp output)
BTW, our cars never had 12 volt filtered, reliably regulated power either.

I do have a bit of an advantage though, because I have all this crap laying around, including the equipment to convert 8 track, casette, LP, VHS, 8mm, TV, Youtube (.avi and .flv) and various other forms of audio and video output to digital media.
I even have a 5 inch floppy drive that I use to convert some of these old peoples spouses that passed away files to current media so the suspicious nosey old people can look through them to find out what they might have been hiding. :)
It ain't cheap when I do it either. (even though it is so simple if you have the drive)

-
Back