How do I remove center bezel on my 71?

-

Bookmaker

Reaction score
I have removed the two screws, the radio knobs and shaft nuts, and the little knob from the slider. I expected the bezel would just drop into my hands but it didn't. What else is holding it on? I don't want to break it. Pic below is for reference.

25398168_1645224125498130_7345263150301597242_o.jpg

Pull the glove box liner and reach around. You might only need to remove 2 nuts attaching the climate controller. Those draw the bezel, metal dash and controller together.
In other models, ( they aren't all the same ),
There are posts cast on the bezel going through holes in the dash. Speedy/cut nuts were screwed on those. I use a 3/8 or 7/16 deep socket on a disc ratchet. If they are all the same the post is 1/4 dia. and hollow. Standard nut would be 7/16. Anyway...
One or more of those nuts may have cut threads in plastic to overtight stripped. Remove all that will back off then pry outward on the bezel while turning the stripped nuts usually works. I have had to shove my door panel fastener tool between the bezel and dash and between the dash and the nut.
Your bezel does have exposed screws so there may be none or fewer of those hidden cast fastenings.

Last edited:
@RedFish is correct. I just wanted to add if either of those screws are broken do not worry, it's actually a poor design from Chrysler, they often break. A lot of stress are put on those screws from the heater/vent control levers as well as holding on the center bezel. They are also a main source of rattles - they loosen easily and will cause the heat/vent control to rattle. Additionally you can't make them very tight as they screw directly into the boss on the bezel (they often crack the bosses). Inspect carefully when you remove it.

If you run into cracks or broken screws don't worry, you can still use the center bezel. Simple cut/grind off the 2 bosses on the back of the center bezel. Use 2 small bolts/nuts (or even 2 zip ties anchored securely) to hold the heater/vent controls directly to the dash. Then put the center bezel over it. The center bezel will be held in place by the 2 screws on top and the 2 radio knobs. Problem solved, still looks stock, and no more rattles.

-
Back