how do i remove the power steering box?

-

eviper21

Reaction score
ive never taken one off before. I have a 73 duster and im going to put a 318 in it with summit headers. I heard i need to remove the PS box for installation. If i not i want to do it just to learn how to, and to paint my engine bay.

i got the steering column kinda hanging in the interior but its not out, i dont know how to detach the steering column from the box.

i tried to look at the FSM but they go into wat to much detail on pullin the column apart and pullin the PS box apart...i just want a straight forward way to do it.

thanks!

There is either a pin in the coupler or a bolt that attaches the coupler to the steering box. the coupler should pull off with the column. There are 3 bolts that hold the box onto the K. Pop the pitman arm off the center link or use a puller to get pitman off the steering box. If the box is in the bay with the motor and headers, youll probably need to remove the header at least to get box out. Manuals can be juggled to come out the bottom with manifolds, but headers are a different story.

You can also pull the guts out of he coupler. There is a small pin that holds them in place. Pry the pin out from the inside of the coupler out. Watch out though and try and keep the guts on the shaft and then tape them up so you know how they go back in. Be a good time to inspect them and repace if they need it.

If the coupler is tight, smooth, and the boot is good, don't mess with it. Just drive the roll pin out of the coupler with a drift and slide the coupler off the input shaft of the box. As for pulling the box to get the headers in.......I wouldn't do that at all! How are you going to get the box back in with headers in the way? The ones I've done in the past required me to (with the box already installed) hang the LH header in place and then install the engine. If you have some take-apart headers, you can do it either way but you still need to have the box mounted first.

i just put a set on my 318 in my 73 duster,manual steering box. the engine needs to be lifted and pushed to the side about 2 inches and the header will go right on. the passenger side goes right in without the filter on.they have to go in from the bottom unless you feed them in with the motor when you put it in, and make sure your starter is new and works because if you have to change it ,it will be a ***** with the headers.no need to take the box off.you will have to unbolt the centerlink if they long tube headers?

If I have the engine out(318)..can I install headers first and drop the whole unit in without interfering with the steering box?? The various header manufacturers say on their websites that only block hugger headers will work with power steering.
Anyone have more or better info???

ive read on a few threads that the box needs to be moved to get the headers on...maybe i misread, but the motor is out right now...empty engine bay. So i should put the drivers side header kind of in place and then drop the motor in?? if i dont have to take off the box i wont deal with it!

Run a late model starter,(mini) and a heat shield. You will be glad later. You do not need to pull the box,just the steering linkage that passes thru the headers.

which part is the steering linkage?
the center link with long tube headers. do not bolt them to the engine before you drop it in. you will have to just unbolt them again. a mini starter is the best way to go but i just used my factory starter. its a tight fit but i had very little problem getting them to work.

-
Back