How do I remove these pins

-

BWDart

Reaction score
Trying to clean up this old manifold want to remove these pins and plate. How do ya'll get them out and then back in so they stay?
Also this pot metal vac fitting broke off, tried heat and pb blaster to no avail, how do I get remainder out without damaging threads?

20200422_130656.jpg

20200422_130641.jpg

The bottom rivets twist out. Vise Grip Pliers work well, then install them by tapping them back in with a hammer.

For the broken fitting you'll need a thread extractor to put in there to back it out. Keep soaking it in PB blaster. It takes time to soak in. Worst case you may need to drill and re-tap it.

I have always removed those and discarded them. It's not much protection from heat anyway but it is a place where oil will collect and cook causing sludge buildup under it. As mentioned, those are "twist rivets" that are just driven in to hold it on. If I was to reuse one, I would tap threads in the holes and use blue locktite on the threads.

I have always removed those and discarded them. It's not much protection from heat anyway but it is a place where oil will collect and cook causing sludge buildup under it. As mentioned, those are "twist rivets" that are just driven in to hold it on. If I was to reuse one, I would tap threads in the holes and use blue locktite on the threads.
Ya I thought about leavin that pan off I have exhaust crossover blocked so shouldn't be alot of heat there

I agree, leave it off. You will probably find a buttload of sludge under it. Unless your media blasting the intake you could just leave it alone. If your blasting removal is a must because there will be all sorts of abrasives trapped in there.

Hacksaw blade down the hole. Go slow. Make 2 cuts opposing side. And it will come out in 2 pieces.

4 cuts work better but it takes time. No rush. And your manifold has zero risk of being damaged

-
Back