how do i take the dash apart?!!? AHHHHHH

-

eviper21

Reaction score
got the guage cluster out, and the glove box.

how in the hell do i get the fan/heater (no AC) control out and the radio out (AM only) also the dash pad! how does that come off??

im trying to get down to straight to the metal dash so i can repaint the dash!

thanks and please help before a crack everything in half lol

There should be a bolt in the back of the radio and the knobs on the radio come off then 2a bolts behind them. Fir the controls look up from behind when the radio is out don't forget the knobs on the controls have little set screws in them

The dash pad does come off there should be 2a in the middle one or two in the glove box and one where the gauges were its all underneath or behind something

On my phone sorry. Behind each know are two small nuts. The black knobs them selves should just pull off and you will see them also from the underside behind the radio should be a bolt

so the radio should come off before the heater controls?

What are you working on?My 70 dart the heater control has 2 nuts on each side of the inside holding the bazel on.the dash pad is easier to take off with the dash pulled out,it has about 6 or so nuts underneath in the center of the pad,very hard to get to.

I agree.. Its easier to totally strip the dash outside of the car... thats how we did mine in my Dart... we unhooked the heater control cables from the heater box, disconnected any wiring that had to remain in the car then removed the dash... took the radio, heater controls, cluster, dash pad etc out with the dash sitting on saw horses .. and I am also curious as to which car your working on... but either way, I know with my Dart you have to have the windshield out to get to the bolts that hold the dash in... Though I have heard in can be done with the windshield still in place, I have no idea how thats possible though

I agree.. Its easier to totally strip the dash outside of the car... thats how we did mine in my Dart... we unhooked the heater control cables from the heater box, disconnected any wiring that had to remain in the car then removed the dash... took the radio, heater controls, cluster, dash pad etc out with the dash sitting on saw horses .. and I am also curious as to which car your working on... but either way, I know with my Dart you have to have the windshield out to get to the bolts that hold the dash in... Though I have heard in can be done with the windshield still in place, I have no idea how thats possible though
Good point I forgot about that little bit of info.My windshield was out anyways so it wasnt as bad getting the dash out.I have heard of at least one other getting the dash out without removing the windshield,looks like if it were possible you would need a long wrench and a small hand to reach the bolts,only thing I see as a real problem would be getting the dash bolts back in place during install very very tight.

Probably easier to remove the seat. Then you can lay down and look up. But yes to remove the whole dash the windshield out is easier.

Until I know what you're working on I can only suggest you refer to the appropriate service manual.

the radio has a nut on the backside, and a nut behind each knob, pull them out and disconnect the antenna and wires and it'll slide right out. i beilieve there is 2 nuts holding the heater controls on, plus the knobs gotta come of (on my 74 dart they pulled right off, no set screws) and disconnect the cables. feel along the top edge on the inside and you should be able to feel the nuts that hold the pad on, you should be able to reach 2 from the cluster opening and 2 from teh glove box opening, and theres one in the middle, theres also a bolt on each side in the corner where it comes down by the cluster and glove box

sorry i forgot to mention its a 73 duster.

we took two nuts off the back of the heater controls and the center section just pushed into the dash. The bezel is still stuck on there some how.

the radio i havnt messed with yet but ill pull the knobs and check it out.

unfortunately i dont have the time or money or tools to get the windshield out and reinstalled to pull the whole dash so ill just have to get all i can for now

well there's no knobs...just the arms that move left and right, like I said I got the heater controls to push back into the dash, but the bezel around the heater controls won't come off

I dont have a pic to provide but that center bezel has round plastic anchors poked through holes cut in the sheet metal. Those have speedy nuts or stamped tin thread cutting nuts. Cadium plated 7/16 or 1/2 hex. To find one or more with the threads stripped in common. Renove those that will back off then use some prying force between the bezel and the sheet metal to persuade the stubborn ones to back off.
It is possible to remove the dash without removing the windshield but it aint easy.
You would need to cut away the fasteners with a die grinder and replace with new.
those would be inverted from their original assembly method.

yup theres 4 speedy nuts holding the plastic bezel on, one in each corner which you can access throught the cluster and glove box openings

-
Back