How Do You Disconnect 904 Cables?

-

clifftt

Reaction score
I've been dreading this job...pulling my transmission. I need to check out the torque converter. This new Hughes won't make the go move and I'm ready to put the original back in, although I'm going to carefully check them both out. I put the new converter in when I had the motor out. Rather than pull the motor out again, I'm pulling the transmission.
This is a pushbutton 904. My question is regarding he two shift cables: How do you get them out? The one I can access with the pan off, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get it back on. And the other just creeps me out looking at it. I'm afraid if I take the wrong bolt out, something will go BOING!!! and I'll never get it back together.
Check out the pictures and I'll take any advice. Thanks guys.

Trans shift cables 001.jpg

Trans shift cables 003.jpg

OK, I got the shifter cable out, found the little spring pulls away from the side of the cable and the cable easily popped out. Now I'm trying to get the park cable off. A guy at a nearby transmission shop said pull the five bolts out and the cover will come off with the cable.
I tried that and the cover drops maybe 1/8", didn't work. So I figure it's either the small allen bolt, or else its gotta be the stud and nut just to the right of the allen bolt. I don't want to mess up any adjustment or see anything pop loose so I really don't want to just guess at it.
Does anyone know??

Trans shift cables 010.jpg

Loosen the clamp bolt where the parking lock cable enters the housing.Tap the end of the bolt to loosen its hold on the cable.Remove the plug on the bottom of the housing . Put a flat screw driver in the plug hole. you will feel a little clip in their. gently push up on the clip while pullling on the cable and the cable will come out..
HKeller
Call me if you cant remove it i will P.M. you my cell Number

Thanks Mr. Keller, I'll give it a shot. Funny thing, I'm visiting my mom today in S.J., she lives on Meridian Ave!

Awwww ... the old stomping grounds. I use to live on Markham near Cherry and Foxworthy. Clifftt, good luck with your trans project.

Mr. Keller: You're the man!!
Exactly as you described, popped right out. Thanks!

-
Back