How do you guys keep gas from spilling? 66' Dart

-
The gas caps are really nice stuff and will prevent the gas from spilling out when turning with a near full tank but won't help with the splash-back when filling the tank.

I welded home made restrictors in my filler tubes and they stop the nozzle so it doesn't get gas on the car. I also use Damraiders caps to keep the filler from leaking gas on the car after I leave the pump.

I welded home made restrictors in my filler tubes and they stop the nozzle so it doesn't get gas on the car. I also use Damraiders caps to keep the filler from leaking gas on the car after I leave the pump.

Why didn't you blow up?

LMAO. Ya....don't try this with the filler tube still in the car! It could get kinda hot and noisy. Remove filler tube and relocate to a considerable distance from gasoline while doing the welding.

......OH MY LANTA!!!! now it all makes sense why there was numerous rolls of TP in the trunk of my 66 when I bought it! I figured the previous owner had some severe case of IBS or something. haahahahahaa!!!! I fixed mine via using a 67 coronet center cap from a hub cap, that says "dodge division" to cover the hole, and mounting a 13 gallon fuel cell in the trunk. feasible? probably not in most cases. Do I like it? yes. its functional and simple. :) So, anyone here need a standard chrome gas gap AND a matching locking cap for an early-a? also have the filler neck + tank as well.

......OH MY LANTA!!!! now it all makes sense why there was numerous rolls of TP in the trunk of my 66 when I bought it! I figured the previous owner had some severe case of IBS or something. haahahahahaa!!!! I fixed mine via using a 67 coronet center cap from a hub cap, that says "dodge division" to cover the hole, and mounting a 13 gallon fuel cell in the trunk. feasible? probably not in most cases. Do I like it? yes. its functional and simple. :) So, anyone here need a standard chrome gas gap AND a matching locking cap for an early-a? also have the filler neck + tank as well.
I put a new tank and all new lines in my 68 fastback, w/ an extra vent on the tank. It hasn`t boiled over any yet, but I take a 14" wide piece of plastic w/ a paper towel underneath it, and masking tape it tight, up under the flip top opening when I put gas in it. The plastic is long enough to almost reach the ground. I sure would get pissed off to start messing up a new paint job! Carry the plastic and masking tape in the trunk, along w/ my favorite fuel additive .

LMAO. Ya....don't try this with the filler tube still in the car! It could get kinda hot and noisy. Remove filler tube and relocate to a considerable distance from gasoline while doing the welding.

Some questions on your restrictor

1. How far from the end of the tube is it?
2. Is the hole centered or towards the top or bottom of the tube? (if not centered, about where?)
3. Will the gas nozzle hook on the flange now? (so you don't have to hold it)

thanks

The disc is about 1.7" from the gasket sealing surface on my filler tubes. The hole is near the center but slightly toward the bottom of the disc. My Barracuda is more toward the bottom than my Valiant. I can let the nozzle rest in the filler at the gas station. The brown goo is some sort of tank liner coating a friend who works at the airport gave me to coat it with so it wouldn't rust.

DSC05189.JPG

DSC05190.JPG

The disc is about 1.7" from the gasket sealing surface on my filler tubes. The hole is near the center but slightly toward the bottom of the disc. My Barracuda is more toward the bottom than my Valiant. I can let the nozzle rest in the filler at the gas station. The brown goo is some sort of tank liner coating a friend who works at the airport gave me to coat it with so it wouldn't rust.

View attachment 1715192033

View attachment 1715192035
That would work well. Did you insert it from the tank end of the tube before welding?

No, they go in from the top if you get the shape just right. The vent baffle is in the way from the bottom.

Ive also made a restrictor and welded it into the neck. Ive also taken the 1/4" vent tube and changed it to 1/2" tube. I havent filled up yet since car is not on the road but hoping for in the next 2 months. I also just ordered the very good looking cap from Steve, AKA damraider! Cant wait to see it. Not sure if I will paint it or polish it. Im hoping that these changes will keep me from having any problems.
When I was younger (many many years ago) my dad had a gas station. I can remember listening for the gas to start coming up the necks and if you caught it soon enough no issues, however if you didnt you ended up with a very wet hand and sometimes it would splash back that bad that you would have your pants covered in gas. Ah those were the days. By the way, there were many car lines that had this issue. 55, 6 and 7 chevys inside the tail lights and all those that had the cap behind the license plate under the bumpers!
Rod

It's not ideal, and sometimes difficult because most of gas stations in my area have ads blaring, but i actually put my ear near the tank so I can hear when the tank is almost full and stop the flow. :eek:

Ive also made a restrictor and welded it into the neck. Ive also taken the 1/4" vent tube and changed it to 1/2" tube. I havent filled up yet since car is not on the road but hoping for in the next 2 months. I also just ordered the very good looking cap from Steve, AKA damraider! Cant wait to see it. Not sure if I will paint it or polish it. Im hoping that these changes will keep me from having any problems.
When I was younger (many many years ago) my dad had a gas station. I can remember listening for the gas to start coming up the necks and if you caught it soon enough no issues, however if you didnt you ended up with a very wet hand and sometimes it would splash back that bad that you would have your pants covered in gas. Ah those were the days. By the way, there were many car lines that had this issue. 55, 6 and 7 chevys inside the tail lights and all those that had the cap behind the license plate under the bumpers!
Rod
I put up w/ the dam camaros sloshing gas out the back from behind the license plate for 14 yrs on the dragstrip. I guess that's the reason for my hatred of them !!

Just installed a restricter, along with Damraiders cap in my 66 B-Cuda. My first gas fill was a no spill/blowback, and the cap keeps gas from sloshing out.
It was a little hassle installing the restricter. I made a tapered dowel rod, and used a good mallet, and got it done. I installed it with the little door on the top side of the fill tube. As stated if you are looking at this for an early A, get the #150 restricter.
Dave

-
Back