how do you install return lines?

-

roylerumble

Reaction score
I've read a few forums on installing return lines, using the existing 5/16" fuel line for the return and running a new 3/8" line for supply. Question is, is there a right way and a wrong way to install the fitting for the return on the tank? I was planning on using a factory tank at the moment, maybe sometime in the future changing to a cell, but its not in the cards right now. Way to many other important projects to focus on.

Oh yeah, any suggestions or advice on the fuel pump side of things, I was going to install the Edelbrock mech pump part #1720. Think that's sufficient for a stroked 360, performer RPM heads, air gap intake, or do I need to add an electric fuel pump of some sort?

Even though A-body tanks are fairly cheap, I wouldn't mod the tank, plus that can be dangerous if a used tank. In my C-body, I drilled a hole in my factory sender and installed a brass fitting w/ O-ring seal. In my A-body, I bought a new 3/8" sender w/ 1/4" vent tube. I return thru the vent tube but measured 9 psi back-pressure using a Walbro EFI pump. I need to try flaring the vent tube for less restriction. If I had a good welder, I would buy a non-vent sender and weld in a stainless return tube. A few people have added a return stub to the fill tube, but I wouldn't want to molest that factory part.

I've read a few forums on installing return lines, using the existing 5/16" fuel line for the return and running a new 3/8" line for supply. Question is, is there a right way and a wrong way to install the fitting for the return on the tank? I was planning on using a factory tank at the moment, maybe sometime in the future changing to a cell, but its not in the cards right now. Way to many other important projects to focus on.

Oh yeah, any suggestions or advice on the fuel pump side of things, I was going to install the Edelbrock mech pump part #1720. Think that's sufficient for a stroked 360, performer RPM heads, air gap intake, or do I need to add an electric fuel pump of some sort?

I had a welding shop remove tiny vent tube on the sender and replace it with a piece of 3/8 tube. Then ran the return through that. My tank is vented at the top where there were emissions ports.

I have no idea if that is the right way, but so far its working until i can spring the big bucks for a fuel cell.

-
Back