How do you ship a transmission?

-

Greg55_99

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a T56 but I'll have to have it shipped. Anyone have any experience shipping heavy items from one part of the country to the other?

Greg

Dock to dock with a trucking company.
I shipped a 833 from WV to CA.
I built a sturdy crate and shipping was right around $200.00
Most trannys are too heavy to FED-EX or UPS.

Yup. Does not need to be boxed, just banded to a pallet.

Youll have to have it fully drained or as best as possible and put plugs in the tail shaft or plastic wrap it really good. When we get anything shipped to our shop it has to be sealed up so that it doesnt leak. I like to put a zip lock bag over it and then tape it good

Friend that owns a shop has shipped them in big Rubbermaid tubs. He Packed Styrofoam around it to keep it from moving in the tub....

Friend that owns a shop has shipped them in big Rubbermaid tubs. He Packed Styrofoam around it to keep it from moving in the tub....
yup ive done this go to walmart they have a super heavy duty tote that has locks you just have to keep the total weight under 150 and fed ex or ups will ship it the last tranny i shipped was 146 lbs

I had mine shipped by Old Dominion from Michigan to Maine. It was strapped to a pallet and the cost was $150. It arrived safe and sound. Just remember to drain it and seal up the tail shaft.

Jack

I shipped a 165lb transaxle in an Igloo cooler packed with dense foam from an old boogie board. The cooler had 2 - 1" straps around it.

This won't matter on this standard transmission but when you are shipping an automatic transmission with the convertor be sure to seat the tourque convertor in all the way, put a piece od a 2x4 against the convetor and wire across between the bolt holes criss crosing the bell housing so the convertor can't come out. We have had more troubles with the freight companies loosing the tourque convertors when shipping automatic transmissions.

Strapped to a pallet or fully crated is how I ship when I need to.

-
Back