How do you spend 40K and not be done

-
Not knowing if the owner was here was being nice. The car is in no way nice enough to be a 40K car.

I have less then that in mine, did a lot of work myself and my car is a little higher caliber than this one.

Was offered $40,000 for mine shortly after getting it done, but wanted to get it featured in a magazine so I turned it down. The guy was spending a lot of money buying cars at the time so it wasn't someone blowing smoke, he bought 5 cars at auction a month earlier at well over 500K.

It has been featured in a magazine now so it could go, but no way would I ask 40k for it.

Attention to detail, I don't see it in the car I originally posted.

I understand how someone spends 40K on a car. But it needs to be a car that when done will be worth the money. The yellow TA, yep worth spending the money on, red dart with crappy aftermarket wheels, don't see it.

View attachment image.jpg

Details , not 40 here

Can a person spend 40K on a car to be restored,YES,if you can not do a damm thing your self,and all you can do is sign a cheque,it will cost you that and then some.Weather or not the car is worth any thing after that is another question.If I told my wife what I have in my 68 hemi clone dart,she would use a ball peen hammer on me,3-4 times at that.If a person can only buy parts and give it to some one to install,it,s not a problem to ring up a bill in the tens of thousands quickly.A good example is a friends 340 challenger T/A,body work to bring it to show car quality was 32G,we had to put it back together,this is just body work,no chrome,interior,exterior,motor,tranny,etc.The total to restore that car was a little under 80 Grand.When a person does not have the talent to do automotive repairs,or talent to repair things,you have to have the bank roll to fund your project.Now you spend that money on the car,just because you spent that,does not mean it,s worth that,or can sell it for that.If you sell your car at the end of your drive way,for 10G asking price and you have to sell it,and only 1 guy shows up with 5G,guess what dude,you got 5G.If you are going to restore a car,you need to be a smart cookie on all area,s you are spending money on,and research every thing under the sun and be a smart shopper,as it,s your pocket book that takes the hit,mrmopartech

That car is already bid to 7600.00. If I owned it I would contact the high bidder and tell them to come get it. One more thing, who in there right mind puts the glass back in the car before the headliner? :sign9:

I do find it pretty hilarious when people start with a rust bucket, then add in all the cost of the metalwork done to bring it back. Geez, if you pay a shop to do floors, spare tire well, quarters etc.,.....and another shop to do the mechanical install of crate motor and trans, no sh** it's gonna start getting astronomical!

There's "smart money" projects, where you hunt and hunt to find a rust-free car and do as much of the project as you can yourself......and still be upside down! Then there's the examples of "how-not-to-do-it". I think this is one of those.

I wouldn't venture a guess on whether this guy has that much in the car but I will say it is not hard to do, depending on much of what has been said here. If you can do your own body work, interior work and build an engine you save a lot of money - but then that assumes you don't value your time. Are you going to spend $20k in parts on a car and three years of your life and then be happy to sell it for $20k because you broke even, I think not.
Costs jump exponentially on projects at each "level" or "stage" you take it to. A good example is motors. You can take an old RB motor, clean it up, new bearings, rings etc., add a new cam, intake and a few other items for $5k and make 450hp. Take it to 550 hp and the price will be way more, 650hp and you'll be way over $10k. I have over $7K in the top end of my engine alone, that's pretty much off the shelf parts and some CNC port work.
Obviously having a lot of money into a car does in no way mean you will get it out of it, I am just stating that it is not hard at all to put $40k into a car.

its called bovine excrement, I quote

"It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction. A person who lies is thereby responding to the truth, and he is to that extent respectful of it. When an honest man speaks, he says only what he believes to be true; and for the liar, it is correspondingly indispensable that he considers his statements to be false. For the bullshitter, however, all these bets are off: he is neither on the side of the true nor on the side of the false. His eye is not on the facts at all, as the eyes of the honest man and of the liar are, except insofar as they may be pertinent to his interest in getting away with what he says. He does not care whether the things he says describe reality correctly. He just picks them out, or makes them up, to suit his purpose "

I didn't think it was possible or even necessary to analyze B.S. but that's funny!!

Don't forget all the labor time involved in the chair watching Barrett Jackson...imagining or dreaming what his car must be worth....lol

.......does that thing gotta HEMI??...... (no, jus a bored teener and a 904 with some crappy chrome valve covers)

I LOVE hearing people saying "I've got $5000 in the heads alone!..."

And it's a '79 318.

I LOVE hearing people saying "I've got $5000 in the heads alone!..." And it's a '79 318.

See what a set of Indy 440-1 heads with full CNC porting, 660# dual springs, multi-angle Manley SS valves, 3/8" push rods. Ti retainers, seals, T&D or HS rockers will run you..... then laugh. Price those heads, along with the Indy covers, head studs, port matched intake, valley pan, a decent 950- 1050 carb and you'll see the $7G add up - and that's with the 440-1 set up costing about $1500 less now than it did 4 years ago...

-
Back