How do you successfully install intake/exhaust gasket?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
Ok my intake/exhaust gasket was leaking vacuum on my 65 Valiant 170. So I decided to replace it. I took everything off replaced the gasket and now it sounds like a tractor. No more vacuum leaks or sucking in air when I spray around the manifold but it's louder. So something is misaligned or broken. I know you have to put those triangle washers on the right place so the manifold can shift with heat. But it's almost impossible to do the ones on the bottom. I looked on allpar and slant six.org but I need a clear illustration of the arrangement the bottom triangle washers go. Anyone have a better illustration?

If you got it to seal, it may be right. What is making noise?? I used the instructions on slantsix.org. Be sure to torque from center out. Don't have a better picture, but will attempt some clarification. Bottom triangles are inverted relative to top ones. i.e. They point up. You probably have three round ones for the center- one on top and 2 underneath. Newer ones like my 75 are all triangle except top center ( and special ones on ends). The flat spots will contact the flange areas on the manifold. There is no easy way, but there are more difficult ones...You can guide them onto the studs by puting them on a long rod or thin screwdriver. Touch the end of the rod to the stud and use something else to carefully slide the washer off the rod and onto the stud. Put nut in socket on an extension and start it. Once you have slight pressure on the washers you can use a long screwdriver to orient them, but they should be close on bottom because the heavy part is the long bottom side

I know it's an exhaust leak. Because it's got that tractor sound coming from the area of the manifold. I just can't pinpoint where it's escaping. The flange to the the manifold is new and tightened. I can't judge where the exhaust is leaking out because the fan is blowing while the engine is running. Is there any trick to figuring it out? I'm also not sure I've got all the right washers anyway. I know on top I've got the brass washers on each end stud, one round thick washer in the center and all the rest on the top are triangle. I'm not sure if the bottom ones are right.

With the engine cold, start it up, and run your fingers around the flange and you shold bea ble to feel where the exhaust is leaking out. Just watch the fan!

GO the slantsix.org for the skinny on what goes where.

its the gasket between the manifolds... unless you use a remflex or hi temp goop the crap out of if they never seal. oh and machine the flanges flat

As far as from what I have read and what I plan to do ( with a spare head that I have ) is install the three intake to exhaust manifold mounting hardware ( in the hot-box area ) loosely and then install the manifolds onto head, get them snugged down to where they need to be and then tighten the hot-box studs to the proper torque.

Using a die grinder removing a bit of material from the manifold around these hard to reach areas will really help the situation.

Remove the manifolds as one unit and have them re-surafaced. Evidently you will be able to use the Fel-Pro gasket since the surfaces will be true.

I bolted the manifolds together at the hotbox while they were sitting face down on a level surface then skimmed mating surface of the manifolds as one piece. Never leaked after that, even with 8lbs of boost ;)

Ok I found the exhaust leak and of course looks like everyone knew where it was. It's on the backside of where the intake and exhaust bolt together. So should I take it apart again and bolt that together and use Copper Spray or Copper Silicone. I use the fel=pro gasket and it comes with a thin sheet metal gasket to go there. Or do I need to use two of them together? That was the only place where exhaust was leaking out.

-
Back