How do you tell for sure if fan is pusher, puller or both?

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
The 16 inch fan I have shows airflow one way on the label. Stupid question but... does that indicate it is only a pusher? Thanks folks.

"Pusher" would be mounted in front of the radiator and "push" air through the radiator.
"Puller" would be mounted in back of the radiator and "pull" air through the radiator.
One fan can't be both a "pusher" and a "puller" in reference to moving outside air through the radiator.

switch the wires around, I have a couple of extra fans in my garage that depending on which wire is hot determines which way they rotate

hello, i have a spal puller fan, its serial/model no etc indicated it a puller on spal website,<bought off egay>generally blades are fashoned to work as puller of pusher and changing polarity will change fan direction but i think they more efficent running the way intended,i could be wrong tho!

You are right cudaboy. The cup side(concave) of a prop fan faces air flow or direction. Any fan can move air running in reverse direction, but it works better going the right direction.

On most of them, to change fan direction, just reverse the power leads.

switch the wires around, I have a couple of extra fans in my garage that depending on which wire is hot determines which way they rotate

Be careful, here. Unless the fan blades are "straight", with no airfoil cross section, they will move FAR less air. If the blades are curved, you would have to ALSO physically turn the blade around front to rear

See the curve here? You are looking at the convex side. The ONLY direction this blade can go which will be most efficient is to the left, or CCW

Look at your mechanical fan. The convex side is ALWAYS towards the front of the car. If you were to physically turn the blade around on the pump, it would STILL PULL AIR the same direction, but it would be vastly less efficient, and move far less air

raised_blade_design_nf_r8.jpg

Another example below. The way this fan lies, the cup/ curve of the blades dictates that it rotate to the left, CCW, and will pull air UP toward the viewer

IF YOU TURN THIS FAN OVER and rotate it CCW, it will still pull air the same direction, but will not move nearly as much

3l%20fan.jpg

-
Back