How does a solid roller cam act vs solid flat tappet

-
Well, the only thing I can think of is the amount of flow with the flow balance between the two sides and the amount in percentage vs each other.

A good question is really, can the head benefit from a larger valve? Ether side or both. How well does this head do In theory scientifically speaking with the flow rates listed? And against another head? Then in reality?

The head was designed with certain parameters in mind. Did it meet these parameters? Does it fit your build? IMO, for a OOTB head, it looks really good. For your personal build (you or anyone reading) it just needs to fit in with the program and goal. What can make the head better? I don’t know. Will a bigger valve help? More porting in the head? Is it worth it? What Head is next on the way up and is the price worth it vs modifications to the TF head?

Always a ton of questions to ask one self!

Well, the only thing I can think of is the amount of flow with the flow balance between the two sides and the amount in percentage vs each other.

A good question is really, can the head benefit from a larger valve? Ether side or both. How well does this head do In theory scientifically speaking with the flow rates listed? And against another head? Then in reality?

The head was designed with certain parameters in mind. Did it meet these parameters? Does it fit your build? IMO, for a OOTB head, it looks really good. For your personal build (you or anyone reading) it just needs to fit in with the program and goal. What can make the head better? I don’t know. Will a bigger valve help? More porting in the head? Is it worth it? What Head is next on the way up and is the price worth it vs modifications to the TF head?

Think the 270 has the bigger valves like mine . >[email protected] lift

Rod ratio plays a big part when the engine is induction limited. And I say anything with a 4 inch stroke and less than a W2 head is induction limited. Even a 3.79 stroke puts a load on the W2 head. And the single 4 intake.

Chrylser did a tom of testing on 2V carb stuff and found power. Too bad they didn’t test what a stroker does to the induction system.

And I’ll add this. If your cam grinder doesn’t take into account r/s ratio you need another cam grinder.
Good points

Yellow Rose does make good points. For the 90% of us building a hot rod or bracket racer, it doesn’t mean much of anything. We just make use of what we have and try to get a good to great result with the way it is. Some of us push the envelope a little further than others would ever bother to and IMO, that’s good.

I’ve noticed through the years of the racers, track or back alley runners, the average guy can make a ton of power without getting nutz on parts and stroker kits. (Which was not exactly cheap & easy to do in the 80’s.)

The same tricks of yesteryear still holds today but there’s better quipment today. The old stuff works, the new stuff is better. But the basic math still holds. Big engine, big power in a light car goes fast!

If one was to be a serious racer chasing the money only available at the checkered flag, things change. This is the level where you chase down every gram of weight, spend every penny, modify every part, make every last .0001 of power possible.

I'll be totally happy with the 240s
Tons of people run them ootb & are very happy with them, I'm having mine gone through just to put 1 more angle on the seat & clean up any ramping on the intake valve. While they're apart, I'll be polishing the combustion chamber & knocking down the cnc machining to smooth in the exhaust and possibly running a 60 grit roll throughout the intake ports. I'd like to get the .700 flow numbers down into the .550-.600 lift area. If I remember correctly there was a 30 hp difference between Andy f 240 tests @ 750 hp & the 270s @ 780.
Thats enough for me

Well it certainly sounds like your having fun with this!
:rofl:
Do us all a favor and document this adventure and make an awesome thread out of it.
:thumbsup:

Yellow Rose does make good points. For the 90% of us building a hot rod or bracket racer, it doesn’t mean much of anything. We just make use of what we have and try to get a good to great result with the way it is. Some of us push the envelope a little further than others would ever bother to and IMO, that’s good.

I’ve noticed through the years of the racers, track or back alley runners, the average guy can make a ton of power without getting nutz on parts and stroker kits. (Which was not exactly cheap & easy to do in the 80’s.)

The same tricks of yesteryear still holds today but there’s better quipment today. The old stuff works, the new stuff is better. But the basic math still holds. Big engine, big power in a light car goes fast!

If one was to be a serious racer chasing the money only available at the checkered flag, things change. This is the level where you chase down every gram of weight, spend every penny, modify every part, make every last .0001 of power possible.
Yep those are good points too.
I think from everything I've read ill be happy with what I have. Thanks

Well it certainly sounds like your having fun with this!
:rofl:
Do us all a favor and document this adventure and make an awesome thread out of it.
:thumbsup:
yes, this to me has been some of the best knowledge stored in my brain. It's been a dream of mine to have a hot rod shop someday soon so all this info won't be wasted. I will be making a build thread & most likely if I have the patience a YouTube series.

Why not 2.19 and 1.81 ?????????
From just looking at the chamber I think there close to maxed out with valve size.
It's close to shrouded, not quite enough to cut on but if someone was a flow nut they might go in and remove a little material around the valves. Good way to get pump gas friendly-er

Now there's 1 more equation coming as a possible benefit. My wife & I are pulling out of communist Seattle & moving over to Yakima WA, which I believe has e-85 at the pump. They also have a 1/4 mile drag strip which would be a couple miles away instead of an hour . anyone have any experience with the e85? I really haven't bought any fuel lines, pump, my good carb yet so it wont be any extra cost.

Now there's 1 more equation coming as a possible benefit. My wife & I are pulling out of communist Seattle & moving over to Yakima WA, which I believe has e-85 at the pump. They also have a 1/4 mile drag strip which would be a couple miles away instead of an hour . anyone have any experience with the e85? I really haven't bought any fuel lines, pump, my good carb yet so it wont be any extra cost.

If there is e85 in Yakima I’ve never found it. Not at a pump anyway. The closest I’ve found corn fuel is Tri Cities.

We will be neighbors BTW. Glad you’re getting the heck out of that wicked place.

If there is e85 in Yakima I’ve never found it. Not at a pump anyway. The closest I’ve found corn fuel is Tri Cities.

We will be neighbors BTW. Glad you’re getting the heck out of that wicked place.
Oh sweet you're over there. That's great.
Okay no e85 that's okay

Oh sweet you're over there. That's great.
Okay no e85 that's okay
Hey yellow rose, I have a question off topic, my wife really, how is the cell phone & internet service around Yakima. We're looking at a place in zilah. She has to have good service to work

Do this—> @yellow rose
to garner his attention faster.
just use the at sign “@“ & then the screen name together. Just as you see it above. It will show up in his alerts.
Hey yellow rose, I have a question off topic, my wife really, how is the cell phone & internet service around Yakima. We're looking at a place in zilah. She has to have good service to work

how is the cell phone & internet service around Yakima

I'm sure YR will be able to give good feedback. As info, I traveled to and through that area extensively for 15 years and never had a problem with either cell or internet service.

I'm sure YR will be able to give good feedback. As info, I traveled to and through that area extensively for 15 years and never had a problem with either cell or internet service.
Sweet thank you so much for that.

-
Back