How Does One Secure the Sail Panel Cardboard Inserts 64-66 Barracuda?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I read over and over again how tricky it is to remove the "wrinkles", but how do I secure the sail panels in the first place? And how did the factory secure them? Screws, clips, glue? Ready to install the headliner today. Thank you.

Yes they were glued in. The only screws are where the rear interior lights are fastened to the car. It does take a bit to get the wrinkles out of the headliner and I had to trim back the sail panels a bit to get the metal trim on.

When I get in I'll get some pics for you.

Here are the pics I took of my sail panels going in and the headliner. This is before I ran the hair dryer over the headliner to get the wrinkles out.

329B72CF-0302-427F-B3F4-4BB8C4F6F673.jpeg

and before you put the headliner down fit the metal piece that fits by the front of the window. If you don’t trim the sail panel down the metal trim won’t fit after you have glued down the headliner.

C5BE8F83-38B7-4BBF-8682-2A1A66724E21.jpeg

@dibbons
Here is a pic of the metal quarter window trim that must be fitted before you put the headliner in place. If not you’ll be trying to unglue the headliner with out ripping it to get some space for the metal trim. Ask how I know! I did that last week.

71B89218-96A9-43F6-A5DE-7BBAA171F55B.jpeg

I understand what you are saying, but how would you get the headliner behind that piece if the piece is already screwed on ????

Fit and glue the cardboard sail panel first. Then fit the metal trim piece, And you'll find that the metal trim piece wont fit as it hits the thick part of the sail panel. Trim away the padded part of the sail panel so the trim piece can fit in snuggly and once the trim piece fits nicely remove it and now you can put the headliner in place. Now put the trim piece back on over the headliner.

Hope this makes sense.

I'm working on the passenger side of my car right now so I'll try to get pics of where you have to trim the sail panel to get the metal trim piece to fit correctly.

I currently have other threads started on headliner installation (or I have re-visited other older headliner threads). Today we found the front rod would not permit us to tighten the headliner when pulling forward and we gave up after switching rods all over the place.

I have been following along on a lot of your other threads as it seems I am always working on the same thing as you are!

Here are the pics I took of my sail panels going in and the headliner. This is before I ran the hair dryer over the headliner to get the wrinkles out.

View attachment 1715856269

and before you put the headliner down fit the metal piece that fits by the front of the window. If you don’t trim the sail panel down the metal trim won’t fit after you have glued down the headliner.

View attachment 1715856268
Wow you did that with the window in. Impressive.

OMG. I just realized when I did my headliner 10 years ago...I dont think I have that backer board behind there! I must have because the light screwed in but......I remember putting some batting up there to give it some body ? I have yet to hit it with the hair dryer...10 years! How long and at what temp and distance with the hair dryer, does it really pucker up or is it very minimal? I just dont want to watch a hole burn through the headliner. Mine is black fabric with the pinholes, not vinyl

I actually used a hair dryer not the heat gun. I was mostly 6 to 10 inches from the headliner and constantly moving it back and forth. I still have a few minimal wrinkles but it removed most or lessened them.

The back interior lights screw into the metal not the backing board.

I actually used a hair dryer not the heat gun. I was mostly 6 to 10 inches from the headliner and constantly moving it back and forth. I still have a few minimal wrinkles but it removed most or lessened them.

The back interior lights screw into the metal not the backing board.
Oh ****...I dont think I even have that backing board then! Aw man!

Where did you guys get your sail panel from? I'm about it be to that point and in need of a good quality replacement for my 65 Barracuda.

I asked a friend of mine that had a 66 barracuda and he believes that the interior trim sail panel he bought was from year one and it fit 64 - 66 Barracuda's. Now the car is no longer owned by him as he sold a number of years ago so I can't take a look at it. Although the headliner covers it.

I asked a friend of mine that had a 66 barracuda and he believes that the interior trim sail panel he bought was from year one and it fit 64 - 66 Barracuda's. Now the car is no longer owned by him as he sold a number of years ago so I can't take a look at it. Although the headliner covers it.
Yup confirmed the 64-65 fits a 66

-
Back