How Does Your Animal Show Affection?

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Most of you know we have cats. We've always had cats. When we moved out here in the country in 2002, we brought 12 with us. All in the back....and wherever else they wanted to be in a 78 Toyota Corolla Wagon. We don't have any of that original crew anymore, but we've always kept cats and somewhere along the way decided to run an impromptu cat shelter. There always seems to be the occasional stray and we take it in, as long as it gets along with the current brood. In fact, all of our cats now are rescues except two. Scamp and my Baby Pink Nose. Both were born with us. Happenstance is probably our most affectionate cat, as if you bend down he will stand up and put his front paws on each of your shoulders and rub his face all over yours. Just the sweetest cat. Baby Pink Nose is decidedly MY cat, but she's what I call a "touch me not" cat. She shows affection by being very close to me wherever I am like this.
BABY PINK NOSE CLOSE.jpg

Our cats have run the gamut:

Valentine who sometimes sleeps with me "like a person" and also asks to be picked up and then flips over to be held like a baby
Mr. Orange who likes to sit on my feet, and then turn over nearly on his back for a belly rub.
Recent arrival Dinky who somewhat annoyingly likes to lick and nibble on my fingers and face
(Last week, she reached up with both paws, grabbed my chin and planted one on me just like in the movies).
Vincent (who we just lost) would reach out and tap you with his paw, repeating until you petted him, and sit not on you but up against you.
Nougat (who we lost last year) wasn't much on affection, but would suckle a blanket and chastise you if you
A- petted him too much and B- didn't pet him enough. He'd also head butt you.
Missy has a light "murder trigger" but will swat you as you walk by if she wants petted and you don't pet her.
She will also just fall down with a thump and expect you to come pet her
Skittles (also lost 2 years ago) went through a period when he was about 2 where he didn't want us to know he liked us.
Basically no interaction during the day, but at night he'd wait until we were asleep (or so he though) and sneak into bed with us.
Mr. White never initiates contact of any kind (10 years), but if you reach to pet him he will meet your hand halfway and let you rub his ears. Just last month he started to sweeten up a bit and came to sit next to me. I was shocked. Once more since then.
Willow (another new arrival) also never initiates contact, but if you pick her up she will settle in and start purring immediately.
Abra (first of the 3 new ones) is my wife's cat and will get up in her face until she gets petted.
Pip was almost 4 when we lost her but was just starting to sweeten up a bit at the time.

We've had a few that the only affection they showed was to follow you into different rooms.

They are all different.

Last edited:
Our cats have run the gamut:

Valentine who sometimes sleeps with me "like a person" and also asks to be picked up and then flips over to be held like a baby
Mr. Orange who likes to sit on my feet, and then turn over nearly on his back for a belly rub.
Recent arrival Dinky who somewhat annoyingly likes to lick and nibble on my fingers and face
(Last week, she reached up with both paws, grabbed my chin and planted one on me just like in the movies).
Vincent (who we just lost) would reach out and tap you with his paw, repeating until you petted him, and sit not on you but up against you.
Nougat (who we lost last year) wasn't much on affection, but would suckle a blanket and chastise you if you
A- petted him too much and B- didn't pet him enough. He'd also head but you.
Missy has a light "murder trigger" but will swat you as you walk by if she wants petted and you don't pet her.
She will also just fall down with a thump and expect you to come pet her
We've had a few that the only affection they showed was to follow you into different rooms.
Skittles (also lost 2 years ago) went through a period when he was about 2 where he didn't want us to know he liked us.
Basically no interaction during the day, but at night he'd wait until we were asleep (or so he though) and sneak into bed with us.
Mr. White never initiates contact of any kind (10 years), but if you reach to pet him he will meet your hand halfway and let you rub his ears. Just last month he started to sweeten up a bit and came to sit next to me. I was shocked. Once more since then.
Willow (another new arrival) also never initiates contact, but if you pick her up she will settle in and start purring immediately.
Abra (first of the 3 new ones) is my wife's cat and will get up in her face until she gets petted.
Pip was almost 4 when we lost her but was just starting to sweeten up a bit at the time.

They are all different.
They are all distinctly different and non cat people will never understand. All they see is "an old cat". Skittles sounds kinda like my Stubby (RIP) was. Aloof, but affectionate.....as if he didn't want you to know he cared. Really quite hilarious.....and highly intelligent. lol That's very much like Clyde is now. He shows affection, but it's like "if I just HAVE to" attitude. LOL

Garfield meows non stop while I try to sleep till I reach out as far as I can while still lying down to pet him, then he’ll pull away and scratch me. Dewey will meow nonstop when he knows I come home and am not in the bedroom, i’ll enter the room then he’ll run away. Then won’t leave me alone while i’m on the toilet.

Garfield meows non stop while I try to sleep till I reach out as far as I can while still lying down to pet him, then he’ll pull away and scratch me. Dewey will meow nonstop when he knows I come home and am not in the bedroom, i’ll enter the room then he’ll run away. Then won’t leave me alone while i’m on the toilet.
Yeah. The toilet thing. I've had ALL TEN in the bathroom when I'm doing my thing. I mean hell, I don't stand over the catbox. Maybe I need to start. LOL

Last edited:
I totally forgot about the bathroom "together time".

My record is five in with me at one time, so you got me there.

Val (and formerly Skit) will sit inside my pants while they are at my ankles on the floor!

We only got one, but she'll do the bathroom thing too

She will actually take a nap in my pants as I'm sitting on the throne
So, if you ever catch me walking around naked from the top down, that's why

Our rescue dog shows his affection and appreciation by occasionally pooping in the laundry room! The cat, well, I don’t do much with him. The wife and kids like him.

Grew up with Labs, wife grew up with cats. Got this little girl from the rescue shelter as a kitten. But my "dog person" self must be rubbing off on her. She loves walking outside on a leash, playing fetch/retrieving, "defends" the house from strange animals, digs car rides etc. Has to always been near us. I was not excited about cats, but having raised this one for the past 10 years has me digging and appreciate how cools cats can be.

Be well folks
20190127_122557_resized.jpg
dog person"

Last edited:
Grew up with Labs, wife grew up with cats. Got this little girl from the rescue shelter as a kitten. But my "dog person" self must be running off on her. She loves walking outside on a leash, playing fetch/retrieving, "defends" the house from strange animals, digs car rides etc. Has to always been near us. I was not excited about cats, but having raised this one for the past 10 years has me digging and appreciate how cools cats can be.

Be well folksView attachment 1715961984 dog person"
I call people like you "converts". Yall make some of the best cat people, because it's like "what have I missed my whole life?" My best high school friend and I still are and still keep in touch. Years ago, when he was still single, he'd come visit every now and then when we still lived in Macon. He wasn't a cat person, but he didn't dislike cats either. Ours would always migrate to him. Now that he has a lady friend, she loves cats. They have two and both cats are HIS cats and it just pisses her off. LOL

My little brown cat, "Lil Bug" RIP used to climb up when I was in the recliner or bed, walk up on my chest, and then just CRASH on her side.

I have this summer adopted "Wallace" the one eyed wonder as I needed a few outside cats. He has had some 4500.00 of surgery from the previous owner who could no longer afford to keep him as she lost her home.
He comes to his name. Stands on my feet. light meows when he wants something. He's a very smart cat.
Willow, the little male ginger will cuddle up anytime I pick him up. He's a purrer. Let's me do just about anything to him as long as I'm being nice.
Lagertha, Just about died from an owl strike, which in turn killed her little brother due to gangrene. Long story. She is now an inside cat (not by her choice). My inside cat stays in her own room at night as I have to sleep and when awoken I am not very nice when I have to work 10-12 hour days 6 days a week. (not the last few months hooray). She lays on my arm like it's a tree branch. Won't let me pet her unless she is in her designated pet zones, A box top, a window sill and my arm. Then she will plop down and let me do whatever. She knows I'm safe as I pretty much saved her life with the surgery that I afforded for her and all the care that I gave to her. She's a big pussy. Acts all tough but got beat up by the alley cats. Last pic is her, trying to ignore me so I stop taking pictures of her.

20220710_135537.jpg

20220711_171825.jpg

20220615_212122.jpg

20220615_212225.jpg

20220618_213102.jpg

20220522_104320.jpg

20220516_170820.jpg

20220521_125905.jpg

Dinky has fetched three different objects for me a total of six times.

I count as a "fetch" if she brings it back at least three times.

The first few times, she initiated it. The last time, I did.

I've wanted a fetching cat for about 30 years.
Who'd have thought the little runt I thought was going to be developmentally disabled turned out to be one?

My little brown cat, "Lil Bug" RIP used to climb up when I was in the recliner or bed, walk up on my chest, and then just CRASH on her side.
You need another buddy.

Mine allows me to leave food out for her. She will loudly greet me when I pull up into the drive and roll around until I pet her. I invite her to come inside but she wont have it with dog around. Sleeps in the shell of the 34. I dont have a rat problem...living in Rat City....Thanks Loon!

EX wife left her here. Thanks Alexa!

Mine allows me to leave food out for her. She will loudly greet me when I pull up into the drive and roll around until I pet her. I invite her to come inside but she wont have it with dog around. Sleeps in the shell of the 34. I dont have a rat problem...living in Rat City....Thanks Loon!

EX wife left her here. Thanks Alexa!
Sounds like you may have gotten the best of "that deal".

My little female black cat shows her affection with her butt, can’t post pictures for obvious reasons.

My cat licks my arm raw while I'm petting her. The new puppy chews on my beard every chance he gets. Big fluffy (real name Hemi) lays next to me on the couch, snuggles up, and rests his head on my foot when I cross my legs.
Needless to say, all four dogs follow me wherever I go.
(Pisses my girlfriend off no end that they like me more than her. She does the feeding , I do the playing.)
Edit: Almost forgot, three dog night. The older of the two puppies learned to jump on the bed, so now I have three dogs at night (occasionally)

-
Back