How easy to get 500 horsepower w/ stock stroke 440?

-
I'm building a stroker. got down to shipping address and Hughes engine said, oh wait ! you live in washington ? I have an AZ. cell phone number. he said that the crap pump gas up here will cause detonation OVER 10.0 to 1. so we changed the build from 10.5 to 9.98. still plenty over 600hp. and that's with Edlbrock RPM heads. like said before, iron heads and even lower CR. One of my build criteria was to run on pump gas. Not sure why gas mileage was mentioned in the same thread as 500+ HP, but can always get a Gear Vendors Over Drive..

Not sure why gas mileage was mentioned in the same thread as 500+ HP, but can always get a Gear Vendors Over Drive..

Why not? I want my cake and eat it to.

No overdrive, or new Hemi. Its gunna be a 440 with a good ol 727. Build the engine as efficient as possible (1mm piston rings, roller cam, fuel injection, etc) and we will see what I can get, MPG wise and horsepower.

big block + rpm = consumption

How much are you looking to squeeze out of this? 15? 18? 20 mpg?

big block + rpm = consumption

How much are you looking to squeeze out of this? 15? 18? 20 mpg?

That's at simple, as it gets..727 can get 20's gas mileage, on a small block. A 440 , build for torque & efficiency, I would consider a proper quench & good valve job , a priority. 17-18 , my thoughts, standard aspiration.

Why not? I want my cake and eat it to.

No overdrive, or new Hemi. Its gunna be a 440 with a good ol 727. .

A gear vendors overdrive is not a transmission. You would have "a 440 with a good ol 727"

A gear vendors overdrive is not a transmission. You would have "a 440 with a good ol 727"

I understand that. But for how much they are, it would take a long time to re-coupe the cost in with fuel savings.

But if you select the right parts in the initial build to make the engine more efficient, it shouldn't cost that much more and there will be more power and better MPG. How much, I don't know yet.

I understand that. But for how much they are, it would take a long time to re-coupe the cost in with fuel savings.

If you drive 1,000 miles per month it would take about 1 to 1.5 years to re-coupe the cost of the OD.

They go for about $3K, I think.

Nobody's saying you shouldn't select the right parts for the build, but what is being said is simply if you build a 440 to make a bona fide 500hp, it'll be healthy, and the efficiency of the engine won't mean **** if you can't keep your foot out of it...and that's why you built a 500hp engine anyway, isn't it?

Realistically though, even if all the pegs fall into place and you can keep the revs under 2500 to include cruising RPM, then MAYBE you can expect 17 mpg or so.

EDIT: to put it in perspective, my '72 Scamp with a well worn but good running 5.2 and 904 (maybe 225hp?), with highway gears managed 17-18 driving from Abilene to Houston. Average RPM was 2300-2500 ~70-75mph.

There is more to having an OD than just MPG.

Try driving a 500hp dart with 4:56 gears down the highway at 60mph. Now do it with an OD. It is a night and day difference. under 2500 vs. over 3000 is life changing.

There is more to having an OD than just MPG.

Try driving a 500hp dart with 4:56 gears down the highway at 60mph. Now do it with an OD. It is a night and day difference. under 2500 vs. over 3000 is life changing.

You must be getting old... (welcome to the club...lol)

You must be getting old... (welcome to the club...lol)

I think you may be right! I don't think I could own another car without some sort of OD. The GVOD is just so easy and durable.

-
Back