How Fast with Hydralic Cam at the Strip

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
Im curious if people are still running Hydralic cams in drag cars. whats the largest they have run. Im talking 250 dur and 560 lift or more.

Just responding to your thread title, personally I did 11.80 at about 111 mph with a 410 stroker using a 280° Advertised, 232° @.050”, .517” lift hydraulic cam Shifting at about 6000 RPM. So to answer, obviously a hell of a lot faster with it a bigger hydraulic cam with the specs you’ve referred to. How fast are you wanting to go still using a hydraulic cam?

Not a direct answer to your question so bear with me, as you may or may not know the big determining factor in my opinion for hydraulic cams is RPMs/spring pressure so if the RPMs can be kept in check and the spring pressure under or around 300 at the nose a lot of power can be built and we'll work very well. There seems to be a lot of problem of late with hydraulic flat tappet failure but that is never been the case for me I have found them to be very reliable.

I've gone 11.40s with the MP .508 in a small block in a 65 Valiant.

The reason I ask is I have a couple of New Hughes Hydralics They are in stroker small blocks. I am thinking of replacing one with solid. its a 390 stroker.

Are you talking about 250 duration @ .050 lift? A solid is capable of more all out performance in a true drag race only car. What are your current cam specs?

Real hyd cams? They have short travel lifters that are “hyd” that people tend to adjust out the hydr aspect of, say if you HAVE to run a “stock” hyd cam, but really need a solid lifter.

It doesn’t matter how well matched the cam is to the combo....... when you add a hyd lifter to the equation, ultimately you’re at the mercy of how well the lifter translates the cam motion into the pushrod.
Which usually leaves something to be desired...... especially as the RPM goes up, and the spring loads are increased to maintain control of the valves.

In a race car, that’s a definite “no thank you” from me.

As for the original question......
Low-11’s for me with a Racer Brown ssh-44 in a 440, in a 3575lb B body.
Stock rockers with adjustable pushrods.

Last edited:
Hughes cams are some of the fastest rate hydraulics around and I don't know if apples to apples specs to specs using a comparable solid would give you much advantage under 5500 RPM maybe none I have also run the 508 and 497 purple shafts with RPMs above 6500 in my opinion over 6,000 is where a solid flat starts to really shine.

Went 7.4s with a isky 304 mega cam. 256 at .050 and .525 lift. In a 440. Switched to a comp cam 306 solid 260 at .050 .555 lift. Went 7.2.flat. haven't used a hydraulic since. I have seen a couple of 440 cars running high 10s with the 509 cam.

Im curious if people are still running Hydralic cams in drag cars. whats the largest they have run. Im talking 250 dur and 560 lift or more.
I liked KO Swingers reply.
The biggest HFT I ran was a purple 292 in a 10-1 - 360. It was pretty good for a heavy-ish car @ nearly 3700 empty. I’ve noticed here on the board most people find a cross over point between a HFT vs a solid around the 250/255 @ 050 area. As we know, a SFT likes to make power and rpm a bit more than a HFT.

It’s combo dependent. With that said, what Hughes cams are they?

I just used the drag race scenario for rpm purpose. The 390 is going in an autox track car plan to run Track days. With the 4 speed I plan to hit 6400-6500 max so, I will probably swap for a solid.

Buddy went 10.90 in his 71 cuda with a stock stroke 360 and the comp 525/305 hydraulic cam. Bone stock eddie heads
That is a pretty stout cam
He had big tube headers, excellerator intake, 727, 8 inch convertor, and it wasnt/ isnt light. This was quite a few years back. He bought the car when it was a year old, still has it. Billboard shaker 340 car
He now has the trickflow and airwolf heads he has played with on a Duster that is also in the family i have posted about before.
The Cuda with that Comp cam hydraulic piece with 360 is one of the best running combo’s i have personally known about. Worked really well. Went 122 ish

Buddy went 10.90 in his 71 cuda with a stock stroke 360 and the comp 525/305 hydraulic cam. Bone stock eddie heads
He had big tube headers, excellerator intake, 727, 8 inch convertor, and it wasnt/ isnt light. This was quite a few years back. He bought the car when it was a year old, still has it. Billboard shaker 340 car
He now has the trickflow and airwolf heads he has played with on a Duster that is also in the family i have posted about before.
The Cuda with that Comp cam hydraulic piece with 360 is one of the best running combo’s i have personally known about. Worked really well. Went 122 ish
That's definitely impressive is that a street strip combo?

That's definitely impressive is that a street strip combo?

it is he drove/ drives it around a lot. Has a stroker motor going in it now with the trick flows. Show quality car. In fact he hasn't raced it in quite a while. They race the Duster
Duster is “ racier” it got the airwolfs. He tested both heads back to back on the Duster, i posted about it a while back

Last edited:
it is he drove/ drives it around a lot. Has a stroker motor going in it now with the trick flows. Show quality car
Duster is “ racier” it got the airwolfs. He tested both heads back to back on the Duster, i posted about it a while back
I don't know if I caught that. How did it shake out when it was said and done airwolf versus trick flow that is?

Funny what you can do with a relatively small port with a 2.02 valve and a big cam. Its a comp cams magnum hydraulic lobe which means its not that aggressive.

Did it ET quicker with the Airwolfs?

Did it ET quicker with the Airwolfs?

very little difference. It 60 footed worse with the air wolfs.
In fairness, the convertor was behind a pump gas W8 deal he had a few years back, wasn't correct for either head.…
Flat top icon/ Scat 4 inch kit.
Venerable 264/268 Hughes solid with 1.6’s
1 7/8 headers.

I ran that comp magnum cam in a stock 340 stock heads mild convertor ran 12.50s at 106. I still have that cam an lifters in a box there was a lot left in that package.

I ran that comp magnum cam in a stock 340 stock heads mild convertor ran 12.50s at 106. I still have that cam an lifters in a box there was a lot left in that package.

yea, as i remember that cam is well into the 250’s @ 50.
His 360 had a dome piston in it. That is why it liked so much duration. Would have run even better with more stick in it.

The biggest issue to overcome when switching to a solid at the present may be availability.

-
Back